hardy breed for ohio?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    ohio
    i'm trying to jump start my dad. what would be the best hardy breed for ohio? one dual breed or one egg breed and one meat breed.
    thanks!

2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Black Australorps are good. [​IMG]

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Buckeyes! developed in Ohio and dual purpose!

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Wyandottes have combs that do not get easily frostbitten.

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Buckeye is your state chicken go with them. They are real nice and forage real well even eat mice. The Buckeye will cover all your needs it is a decent layer as well as a great meat bird.

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Buckeyes are the obvious choice but I would look at chancleters. They were bred to withstand canadian weather and winters.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Buckeye are very cold hardy and have a wonderful docile nature lay very well and were a great meat bird in their day as well as now.I strongly suggest from a breeder though since hatchery stock tend to loose the meat factor.We have Buckeye and Wyandotte the Buckeye nothing is hatchery and the Buckeye are much more meaty.
    I see from the previous posts many are not familiar with the Buckeye breed...too bad as they are really overlooked and have so much to offer the chicken community.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, there are hundreds of Michigan bird keepers much farther north. Of course, putting aside the states' football rivalry, the fact is that most American breeds were bred for our climate and Ohio is no exception. New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Rocks of all colors, Wyandottes, you name it!!!

Frankly, if you stay with any of the American standards, you couldn't go wrong. Ohio is cold, but all these breeds will do just fine, take it from your northern neighbors. [​IMG]

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Forget about DP. They are a waste of time unless you are into showing or just want petty birds. Egg laying the best are ISA Browns , a brown egg layer. For a meat bird you can't go wrong with cornishX.

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:X2

Australorps are the best I've seen for all-around birds. Very good layers,very cold-hardy,great disposition and good size. Granted like any other dual purpose chicken they take longer to get to meat-bird size. I'd still go with the Black Australorp and maybe get some CornishX for meat.

Larry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by