Harlequin runners?!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I got some welsh harlequins from metzer farms about two months ago, and they stand straight up, all the time! Could they be runners?! Its crazy! I'll get a pic up later.

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    hmmm. I can't wait to see the pics. I'm suprised that metzer might have messed up your order. I've never ordered from them, but alot of people on here seem to really like them. [​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    They look JUST like welshies, but stand like runners. The others stand like a pq runner but one of the girls standsREALLY upright, its wierd! ill get pics I promise.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Young ducks often stand more upright. Brooding pekins and Runners together- sometimes I have had to take a second look to work out who is who when they all take a similar stance. It would not be a runner- completely different shape and leg placement.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Im hopeing their not part runner, I bought them as welshies! Lol.

6. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    You just have metzer quality welsh harlequins. I crossed a welsh harlequin drake with one of my trout indian runner hens this last breeding season just for fun and only managed to get one fertile egg from them. But the bird that hatched was similar in color to a trout indian runner female with lighter eye patches and lighter over all color. She was stockier and stood fairly upright, but no where near our runners. After seeing the ones from duckfromoz, I wanted to try it, but I've since already passed her off because we hatched some very nice pure runners and I decided we could do two pens instead of just one this coming year.

7. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Metzer breed pens don't get anywhere near one another, I'm sure you've got pure birds. Like someone else mentioned my young duckies walk funny like runners when they get their feet wet! LOL

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Ok, they seem very alert all the time too. Lol. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by