Harm in this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tikkijane, Jul 8, 2011.

1. My kids were told by someone (who grew up with chickens) that "the best way to hold chickens is by their feet, upside down."

Comments and opinions please.

Thanks.

Tikki

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:This is really only if you are going to process them. I wouldn't hang my chickens upside down when I carry them. I prefer to carry them like a football under my arm than upside down, even if they are being stinkers [​IMG]

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

My kids were told by someone (who grew up with chickens) that "the best way to hold chickens is by their feet, upside down."

Comments and opinions please.

Thanks.

Tikki

HMMM, I don't know about that, hahah!!! Maybe if you're ticked off at it and getting ready to throw it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Nope. That is not cool for the chicken. You can place your hands on the chickens sides, over their wings, then pick the straight up and tuck them into your side under your arm or close to your front. There are some good pictures here and there on here of kids holding chickens in safe ways.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I carry mine like footballs too. I have heard that while not common, holding a bird upside down can cause their lungs to collapse. I remember a post on BYC where a seemingly healthy chicken died while being held that way.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Yay Chicks! :

Nope. That is not cool for the chicken. You can place your hands on the chickens sides, over their wings, then pick the straight up and tuck them into your side under your arm or close to your front. There are some good pictures here and there on here of kids holding chickens in safe ways.

My DD is holding my roo using the "football method" in my avatar. Notice the other hand is still free to text. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. Well, they were told this by their grandfather. [​IMG]

We obviously don't do this and I personally think it's barbaric. Maybe for processing, but certainly not a way, I wouldn't think, to get them to trust you. I wouldn't trust anyone who flipped me upside down. And I wouldn't consider it "holding" either. We've got a few that really like the football hold.

I wish I had some scientific links that I could "share" that says this is actually harmful to pets, but fine for those you're going to eat. [​IMG]

8. Quote:[​IMG] I just could not imagine taking the risk!

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:My DD is holding my roo using the "football method" in my avatar. Notice the other hand is still free to text. [​IMG]

That just speaks well of her multi-tasking abilities. lol! To the OP, I've held some of our birds like this when dusting them for lice so that I could do their bellies, but just for normal everyday carrying, I also use the football method or just hold them up against my chest.

10. Quote:Ok, but that is funny, though. [​IMG]

I've got one that will land on anyone when she is ready to go to bed at night, lol. A shoulder; someone's back if they are low enough- it's all a free ride! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by