1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Harmful Lawn Chemicals?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Just_Clucky84, May 12, 2011.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hi,
    My mother had a lawn company come out and spray the lawn for weeds, grubs, etc this morning. The company says they use "all natural" chemicals and that kids and pets can go back on the lawn 1-2hrs after spraying. My concern is that the chickens eat the grass and I don't want anything getting into the eggs. I also worry about them getting sick. Most pets don't eat grass (or produce something we eat). I was furious when she let the girls out of their run to roam this afternoon. I came home from work and she told me they had been out for 10-15min. How long should I leave them in their pen? Should I destroy all the eggs we get for the next couple of days?

Thanks!

2. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    They need to specify "all natural"! Arsenic is all natural for goodness sake! Ask them to tell you exactly what is in the spray and do some internet research and find out how safe it really is.
    Good luck!!!

3. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Ask the company for the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the spray. If they won't provide then don't let them spray again. Only an MSDS can provide the information for you to make a decision about keeping the eggs and the health of your chickens. The company may not tell you because of 'business reasons' but any company worth their pesticide and herbicide license will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by