harness for chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken42626, Aug 8, 2014.

1. chicken42626

chicken42626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    I would like to take my chicken Pete to places i do not want him to fly off and get lost i heard you can get harness for cats and dog do you think he would fit in a dog harness or do you think they the made harness for chicken i call pet stores no harness for birds

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I have never used a harness on a chicken, but I know people do sometimes. You can see pics of these at https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ATVh4GYCg&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQ7Ak&biw=1586&bih=733. You should be able to locate the pages on which these pics are found and get in touch with some of these harness owners. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your harness.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck finding a harness! Sounds like a safe way take your chicken places!

Enjoy your adventures and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  6. ThaSilverShadow

ThaSilverShadow Out Of The Brooder

I have a barred rock that flips out if she can't be near me or on my shoulder. Quite a few of my rir mixes are starting to learn from him. ;)
    I really don't think I'd even need a harness. Good luck with taking him/her out.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some BYC sellers on "everything else" thread in the buy,sell,trade forum do have harnesses. Some people buy the Chihuahua harnesses - I think you need to look more for a comfortable fabric and fit, than one strong enough to restrain a dog.

I know people have taken their harnessed chickens into Pet co & Petsmart, and they are quite the object of attention. A great time to pass out BYC cards too.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The silver shadow, you do have to be cautious if you take your bird outside on your shoulder etc. without a harness. She may be nuts about you but, if something startled her like a hawk overhead or some warning call from a rooster - she would take off and it's likely it would end up badly for her. So many people have lost parrots that way - usually because they forget the bird is still on their shoulder.

9. ThaSilverShadow

ThaSilverShadow Out Of The Brooder

I appreciate the worry, but I wouldn't take him anywhere. I built a metal Fort Knox of a run/coop, because I'm worried about exactly what you said. We have so many flying overhead. We actually joke about one of the women next door must be sunbathing again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by