Harnessing Chicken Power

SeramaLife

Drowning in Seramas
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
North Central WA
I got started harness training one of my little 6 week old roosters a little less than a week ago. First I got an adjustable cat harness from Petco( http://www.petco.com/product/2059/Four-Paws-Safety-Cat-Leash-and-Harness... ), as someone (I forget who)recommended. I started by putting Buckeye on the couch and setting the harness down without making a big deal out of it. Then I gradually started rubbing his feet with it. Then his wings. Then his back. Then his head.Then I put the head piece on and let him walk around and get used to it. After 3 10 minute sessions of that over 2 days, I put it all the way on and had him eat his favorite treat to distract him. After he had finished, he hunched up and looked uncomfortable. After about an hour of doing his normal perching on my shoulder, he acted completely normal. He has been on it alot since then, and now acts normal all the time. Now I can follow him around everywhere and he doesn't care. He is fed alot and very picky, so I cannot feed him his normal food and he is too picky to eat any treats. Any suggestions on getting him to follow me?Here is a couple pictures of him on harness:
23256_img_1952.jpg

23256_img_1941.jpg

LOL that is too cute!!
love.gif
Have you tried dragging something that looks like a worm behind you? I have no clue, but that was the fisrst thing that came to mind since he doesn't want food! (DOESN'T WANT FOOD???)Definitely not from my family!!
lau.gif

Just wait til he grows up . . . I say the tamest roosters are the most troublesome when they're used to you. I raised a golden sebright rooster and he was my little sweetheart until the testosterone-filled fury kicked in and now he attacks me everytime I walk outside. Not such a sweetheart anymore. The ones I didn't hand raise are pansies and they won't come anywhere near me
sad.png

And this may sound retarded, but try making chicken noises to get him to follow you. In a group, that's how hens and roosters get the attention of their friends and get them to come to them. That's the only thing I can think of . . .

Last edited:
I stopped feeding him wet food regularly, now he follows it! I am going to hold the container a little higher every time until he can't see it and follows without it.

I was wondering about harnessing a chicken, lol. We have harnesses for rabbits that I think will work. The kids are going to be showing chickens in 4H and I think having them use to a harness would be good for the birds and the kids. Maybe when they're at the fair they can harness the birds so they can stretch their legs and wings out.

I use to have a rabbit that walked on a leash like a dog. I first put it on her and let her drag it around the house, then went outside with it on while I sat down I would hold the harness and let her hop around. Finally I would go in front of her and call her by name to get her to come to me, when she came I'd give her a treat. Once she started coming most of the time I slowly started to stop giving her treats and finally got it so that she never got a treat and she'd still follow me. She also hated to be carried and if she didn't follow she knew I'd pick her up and carry her. She was 6 months old by the time she was fully trained to walk on a leash. I'm sure you could use the same method on a chicken, just be sure to give him some treats so that he doesn't feel like he's being tormented. Also take him places with it on so that he reconizes you as his protector.

I had another session with him today. He kept finding something yummy and wandering off with it trying to attract invisible hens that weren't there. After a while he was going well and we made some progress.

Back
Top Bottom