Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I posted this in another thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-expect-for-new-chick-moms.1439983/

But these day old chicks are so quiet....they've hardly peeped AT ALL today. I was so worried that they were dead that I kept checking under the MHP. I finally picked both of them up just to look at them closer. They peeped quite a bit when I picked them up. I'm astonished at the difference between these chicks and all my other past experiences.

But these day old chicks are so quiet....they've hardly peeped AT ALL today. I was so worried that they were dead that I kept checking under the MHP. I finally picked both of them up just to look at them closer. They peeped quite a bit when I picked them up. I'm astonished at the difference between these chicks and all my other past experiences.
This is true.
One drawback of the MHP is not being able to easily observe the chicks.
Why I made mine flat and all tied together so I can easily lift the front to see what's going on under there.
I actually use a lamp over the feeding station for the first few days to make sure they are eating and drinking.

I posted this in another thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-expect-for-new-chick-moms.1439983/

I use a heat plate, which is similar. I have used my phone to take pictures and look and the pictures just to make sure they're all ok. :lau

They're quiet when they're happy. But I can understand the increased worry that goes along with it in the beginning. They sure love those brooder plates/MHP.

Thank you everyone for assuring me that my chicks aren't simply being mute to drive me into anxiety attacks. You really have no idea how much I appreciate the reassurance! They are being a little more active today and peeping a little more. I have them in an area of the kitchen that is kind of dark. There is a light overhead but it still isn't nearly as bright as natural daylight. I wonder if it would help if I moved them into the sunroom? The only downside with the sunroom is that it gets chilly out there at night because of all the windows. It is an HVAC heated room, but is naturally cooler because of heat loss through the windows. However, I think I read something that they should still be fine because of the cave-like heat entrapment & insulation of the MHP. Is that correct? It gets down into the 20s here at night. The sunroom temperature probably drops into the low 60s at night. What do you think? Fine? Not fine to move them to the sunroom?

Thank you everyone for assuring me that my chicks aren't simply being mute to drive me into anxiety attacks. You really have no idea how much I appreciate the reassurance! They are being a little more active today and peeping a little more. I have them in an area of the kitchen that is kind of dark. There is a light overhead but it still isn't nearly as bright as natural daylight. I wonder if it would help if I moved them into the sunroom? The only downside with the sunroom is that it gets chilly out there at night because of all the windows. It is an HVAC heated room, but is naturally cooler because of heat loss through the windows. However, I think I read something that they should still be fine because of the cave-like heat entrapment & insulation of the MHP. Is that correct? It gets down into the 20s here at night. The sunroom temperature probably drops into the low 60s at night. What do you think? Fine? Not fine to move them to the sunroom?

Low 60s outside of the cave at night should be ok as long as the cave is producing enough heat since they will stay under there at night anyway. I keep my house between 67-74 pretty much all year. They will usually peep loudly if they're too cold but you can also watch them to see if they're spending too much time under there and not running around. For the first couple of days they will spend a lot of time sleeping though, that's normal.

Back
Top Bottom