Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Only time will tell!

:fl

I will probably candle them again at lockdown on Tuesday. Hopefully I will see movement. Most of the eggs were very active last night. Of course, because I was so freaked out about dropping the egg, I didn't mark any for air cells or any of the normal stuff I would have done. I just wanted to candle quickly enough to pull out the clears and then get everything back to normal like that was somehow going to save the egg that I dropped by pretending it never happened.... :rolleyes:

I just loaded up my 360 in the kitchen with 16 eggs from flock. I weighed them and placed marks on each side. While loading the temp of course dropped. I pressed the buttons to do a reset and checked that the day counter returned to 21. The temp and humidity are on their way back up, however now the temp light isn’t flashing like it was before the reset. It is just solid red. Is something wrong or will it flash once it reaches 99.5?

Yes, it should. Mine doesn't flash until it reaches optimal temperature.

Set my eggs on lockdown tonight in my first NR 360. Have a total of 18 eggs on lockdown. 9 out of the 16 shipped eggs are still alive. I suppose that’s pretty good considering it got pretty cold during shipping? These are my first shipped eggs so I’m not sure. My second incubator goes into lock down in 3 days with 23 eggs alive as of now.
I received 22 shipped eggs. 9 were clear. 2 look like they died in the first day or two. They had blood rings. That leaves 11 that are currently still in the race or 50%. I have a week left so we'll see how many make it to the end...but so far we appear to be on par for our percentages.

Yikes! That's scary. I'll tell you though....been there, done that and the chick hatched just fine!!! Only in my case the egg did crack. I repaired it with nail polish. It was the first egg to hatch! So, personally, I think your egg is no worse for the wear. These things happen. It's all part of incubating.

View attachment 2547220

View attachment 2547221

:gig

It looks like your egg is the victim in a chicken horror movie.... I'm sure the little guy (or gal) is like "did you have to use red??? I'll never live this down....."

:gig

It looks like your egg is the victim in a chicken horror movie.... I'm sure the little guy (or gal) is like "did you have to use red??? I'll never live this down....."
Of course! I picked my favorite color. You know, because I'd be looking at it for a week. The polish was called Heartbreaker. The February '20 HAL came up with the name "Tom Petty". It was a hen. I wish I could say I still have her. Sadly last year was a tough one for predators. She was one of the casualties.

OMG... View attachment 2547052

I went to candle my eggs tonight. It is Day 14. I'm using a Magicfly handheld candler. The first egg I picked up had this incredible shadow where you could clearly make out two chicken feet. I looked down to grab my cell phone and take a picture and I DROPPED the frigging egg! {INSERT HEART ATTACK HERE....} The egg dropped onto the incubator. I quickly flipped on the kitchen light. The egg I dropped does not appear broken or cracked. Of course I was shaking when trying to recandle it so I'm HOPING that is an accurate statement. However, it DID crack an egg in the incubator. The good news is that the egg which broke is clear. Not fertile.... So now I'm paranoid about the egg I dropped. It fell about 9 - 12 inches approximately. Would that possibly kill the chick inside even if the egg didn't break or crack?

If it didn't crack it may be just fine. I keep a folded towel in front of my incubator that I hold my eggs on while I candle. I did however break an egg when putting it back in the incubator once. Don't feel too bad, accidents happen. Even broody hens break eggs by accident sometimes.

I finally got up the nerve to check the egg I dropped yesterday. It is still moving but it IS cracked. What are my options here? I know I can use nail polish.... 😂 What else?

NM.... I found several posts that give me options. I'm going to try beeswax

Eta - OK, it was quite cracked on the end opposite the air cell. I melted some beeswax and covered the cracks as best as I could. Worried that maybe I put it on too thick?

Advice for handling it from this point forward?

Last edited:
NM.... I found several posts that give me options. I'm going to try beeswax

Eta - OK, it was quite cracked on the end opposite the air cell. I melted some beeswax and covered the cracks as best as I could. Worried that maybe I put it on too thick?

Advice for handling it from this point forward?
That's why I use nail polish. It's much easier to get it exactly where it's needed without overdoing it. I used a birthday candle once. That's chick also hatched fine. As long as the egg can still breath and it's thin enough to pip through it should be fine.

I've had about a 50% hatch rate for repaired eggs. They actually do surprisingly well if it happens late in incubation.

Back
Top Bottom