Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Well it’s started. Got 6 eggs in let’s see how this goes. First time using an incubator. I’d be tickled pink if all 6 hatch but I’ll still be happy if any hatch. We haven’t had good luck the last two years by letting our hens go broody.
I’m on my first hatch also. I’ve had some hiccups and the people here have been more than helpful. Best of luck to you!

I started my incubator about 3:00pm, March 11th. If March 12th makes 1 day, then today will be lockdown and rotator should stop itself at 3:00? The timer say d-04 right now. So this afternoon I should raise humidity if I’m timing this correctly?
I candled all the eggs yesterday evening from the “broody” hen and there was zero development. This morning she came back to where the eggs were and paced back and forth. She then went and laid in the nesting box, whew!
Guess I will cook the eggs and feed them back to the chickens. I’m not sure how accurate the float test is.

What is everyone setting their humidity at? The instructions said 50% (48-55% accepted) then jump to 70% for the last 3. Also how often are you candling? I found an article that said to candle at day 4 day 10 then day 17. Also anyone else have a pad a paper sitting next to the incubator for taking notes? I have one with days numbered so I can monitor temp humidity and anything done such as candling or adding water that type of thing. Trying to learn all I can as I go lol.

What is everyone setting their humidity at? The instructions said 50% (48-55% accepted) then jump to 70% for the last 3. Also how often are you candling? I found an article that said to candle at day 4 day 10 then day 17. Also anyone else have a pad a paper sitting next to the incubator for taking notes? I have one with days numbered so I can monitor temp humidity and anything done such as candling or adding water that type of thing. Trying to learn all I can as I go lol.
My humidity bounced between 49-51. I candled a couple of extra times since it was a learning experience, still is! I also have a notebook, pencils, a magicfly light and a flashlight. I candled in the same room as the incubator and realized if I covered the top of bat or I could see even better. A little light does make a difference as I was told. Make sure and use distilled water. I would warm the water a bit before adding it, perhaps that’s overkill, not sure. It just stopped the humidity from dipping by adding water out of the jug but it would come back up rather quickly...like I said, probably overkill.

I started my incubator about 3:00pm, March 11th. If March 12th makes 1 day, then today will be lockdown and rotator should stop itself at 3:00? The timer say d-04 right now. So this afternoon I should raise humidity if I’m timing this correctly?
I candled all the eggs yesterday evening from the “broody” hen and there was zero development. This morning she came back to where the eggs were and paced back and forth. She then went and laid in the nesting box, whew!
Guess I will cook the eggs and feed them back to the chickens. I’m not sure how accurate the float test is.

Yes, the turner will automatically shut off but I do still remove the turner for lockdown so that the chicks don't get stuck. You can simply pull up from the center and the white plastic turner slips right off. You can increase the humidity now or wait an additional day if you feel the air cells need a bit more time to develop. I usually set my humidity at 65% for hatch. I hope you have great results!

Look at humidity as a tool, your goal is for the eggs to lose the optimum amount of weight. You can weigh the eggs but most people monitor air cell growth to determine if the humidity needs to be increased or decreased. I have found that I like to start my eggs at 45% humidity and most of the time I don't need to change it but if I do I never go over 55% in the first 18 days. For lockdown I like to aim for 65%, the humidity will spike once the chicks start hatching, this is normal and to be expected.

A couple of digital images to give an idea of what you're looking for. It's never exact though, you're just looking for consistent development of the air cell throughout incubation.

Air cell candling (1).gif Air cell candling (3).jpeg

Yes, the turner will automatically shut off but I do still remove the turner for lockdown so that the chicks don't get stuck. You can simply pull up from the center and the white plastic turner slips right off. You can increase the humidity now or wait an additional day if you feel the air cells need a bit more time to develop. I usually set my humidity at 65% for hatch. I hope you have great results!
I did remove the turner and put down some shelf liner. I’m a bit nervous about the air cells not positive they are big enough but they have continually grown. Fingers crossed and thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom