Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I don't know if the is the place to ask this, but can you use a hen to accurately calibrate a thermometer?

I have been trying to hatch shipped chicken eggs for years now with zero success.

This would be my fifth attempt, and third thermometer.

I did an eggtopsy today on possibly my last attempt. Three out of six eggs had no signs of development. Two died at around day seven (my best guess), And they both had brain swelling. The sixth had piped through the rapping but not Though the shell, he also had a decent amount of fluids around his head. I ran the incubator at 40-ish humidity. I use a Janoel12.

I'm not quite sure what to do as I have already spent around two hundred some dollars on eggs over the last years, only to have complete loss.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining.
Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the is the place to ask this, but can you use a hen to accurately calibrate a thermometer?

I have been trying to hatch shipped chicken eggs for years now with zero success.

This would be my fifth attempt, and third thermometer.

I did an eggtopsy today on possibly my last attempt. Three out of six eggs had no signs of development. Two died at around day seven (my best guess), And they both had brain swelling. The sixth had piped through the rapping but not Though the shell, he also had a decent amount of fluids around his head. I ran the incubator at 40-ish humidity. I use a Janoel12.

I'm not quite sure what to do as I have already spent around two hundred some dollars on eggs over the last years, only to have complete loss.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining.
Thanks in advance.

Wow! That's terrible! I'm so sorry you've had such poor results! Definitely look into calibrating any digital thermometers by checking against one that can be submerged in water. The links aart shared above are great!

I've used many incubators, the Janoel isn't one of them, but I have heard from many people that it's very difficult to keep the humidity in a good range in them and that may be more of your issue than the temperature. Especially with you seeing fluid.

Question, are you getting eggs from multiple sources? Have all of these eggs been shipped? Local?

If your secondary thermometers don't have hygrometers as well it could be that the hygrometer on your incubator is wrong and the humidity is higher than you think. Monitoring the air cell development during incubation is my method of choice to make sure the egg is losing enough weight BUT with your situation being as frustrating as it has been I think you should look into weighing them instead. It's more time consuming but a foolproof way of making sure they're in a healthy range of weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom