Harrison's Bird Feed

Nana2KJS

Chicks-n-Ahs
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
SE Kansas
Happened to see Harrison's Certified Organic bird feed at ag store today.

Any opinions about using it for chickens?

Ingredients: *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Rice, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, *Ground Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium, Montmorillonite Clay, Spirulina, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite. *CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 15%, crude fat (min.) 5.5%, crude fiber (max.) 6.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

WOW it sounds and looks like a very good feed ..... it has a lot of good stuff you will never find in poultry feed .
Poultry feed is at the bottom of the totem pole in feed manufacture , so to get better feed it's imperative for use to be educated in this area and find feeds that will give our birds what they need for a good full happy content life ...... free range would be the perfect answer but very very few of us will be able to do this so here is where we need to start looking and learning !!!!
Best of luck w/your birds & feed

Quote:

Last edited:
Chickens can get a lot of "GOOD things to eat" while free ranging , things that we try to duplicate in their feed that comes in a bag . While free ranging i only feed grain to them as they can get all else they need but when in pens we need the best feeds we can get our hands on .
Now free ranging that i'm talking about is where the chickens are not bound by any fences what-so-ever , free to go into the woods , tall grass , around other livestock , all over the place that they want to go .
Hope this explains all

Quote:

Interesting. What type of birds was the food for? Harrison's has made organic parrot food for several years. I didn't know they made feed for poultry of any sort. I never have used it for my parrots because it is astronomically expensive. That and the first ingredient in the parrot diet was organic sunflower seed (not sure if the formulation has changed slightly). Anyway, when I saw that I thought I might as well feed the raw ingredients (for less cost) than buy them processed together as a pellet or crumble. That seems to have worked well for my flock.

It didn't mention anything about poultry, and you're right, it was very high $$$. I was just asking because it's the first organic ANYthing I'd seen around here.

Right now, for my fab 5, I'm mixing my own with seeds,grains from Whole Foods and it's still not as expensive as the Harrison's.

Just wondering - Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom