Harsh wind chills tonight!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christie22701, Jan 6, 2014.

1. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    In Virginia the weathermen are calling for -15 wind chills tonight. My chickens are pullets still but I'm still worried about them being exposed to this weather. They have an enclosed coop with upper and lower ventilation and pine shavings. Should I close the lower ventilation? Should I bring them inside? Please advise.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Keep the coop closed up and draft free. Allow for ventilation still. Load up on the shavings/bedding. They should be fine. I've been reading that whole grains will help keep them warm( cracked corn, oats, etc. ).

3. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I just got done draft proofing the coop, as last week we had a storm and I noticed a few areas that needed help. I have a door that I don't use with major gaps around it. So I cut up a feed bag, used my staple gun and took care of the area. tonight when the chickens go in and I close their little door it'll get backfilled with mulch. I use the deep litter method and that puts off a good amount of heat.

Keeping the water from freezing is the biggest thing- a heated dog bowl works wonders.

A few of my girls are a bit bare in the feather area- due to molting and an over excited rooster. So I made them saddles out of fleece.

When our temps here drop below freezing I add BOSS to their diet as well as make them a warm breakfast: scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cracked corn. They really enjoy it. They really don't like to go outside if it's in the teens so I give them a pumpkin or head of lettuce to keep them entertained.

This is my first winter with chickens and it's been a learning experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by