Hartz Ultraguard trauma to my dog!

BirdsBeesTrees

Integrity.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
4 days ago I put Hartz Ultraguard Pro on my dogs, to protect them from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. We bought it at Wal-Mart.
IMG_1017.JPG

She's 85 lbs. and 8 months old with a lot of fluffy hair.
She started hiding from us 2 days ago, we found her and she's acting erratic. She was missing a piece of skin from her back right leg. Then on her neck and tail. My husband washed her with Dawn dish soap.
My husband called the vet this morning and drove the 30 minutes to go get an epi pen and a spray, while my 2 oldest boys and I washed her again. We washed every part of her down and brought her into the house. I noticed she now also has an enlarged lump on her neck area.
She's not doing great, and is still acting erratically. My husband wants her only to go outside if she's on the leash because it took us an hour this morning to find her.
Please don't use this product, and don't give them your money. Their is a whole website dedicated to people who lost their dogs and cats by using Hartz products.
Here's our baby dog, I didn't want to mess with her too much so these are the best pics I can get right now. :(
IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

4 days ago I put Hartz Ultraguard Pro on my dogs, to protect them from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. We bought it at Wal-Mart.
View attachment 2180246
She's 85 lbs. and 8 months old with a lot of fluffy hair.
She started hiding from us 2 days ago, we found her and she's acting erratic. She was missing a piece of skin from her back right leg. Then on her neck and tail. My husband washed her with Dawn dish soap.
My husband called the vet this morning and drove the 30 minutes to go get an epi pen and a spray, while my 2 oldest boys and I washed her again. We washed every part of her down and brought her into the house. I noticed she now also has an enlarged lump on her neck area.
She's not doing great, and is still acting erratically. My husband wants her only to go outside if she's on the leash because it took us an hour this morning to find her.
Please don't use this product, and don't give them your money. Their is a whole website dedicated to people who lost their dogs and cats by using Hartz products.
Here's our baby dog, I didn't want to mess with her too much so these are the best pics I can get right now. :(
View attachment 2180278
View attachment 2180282
Oh my goodness! That's terrible! I'm SO sorry! I hope she recovers. Are your other dogs acting fine? Thanks for the warning. I won't use their products ever. I would maybe call the company. They might cover vet bills? Fingers crossed she feels better soon and that the epi pen helps. Poor girl.

@MGG Our 1 year old Pyrenees puppy has really long hair and was given one of the tubes out of the same box. She had a patch of hair missing on her right side of her back leg too, she doesn't seem as bothered by it though and is recovering. :(

@MGG Our 1 year old Pyrenees puppy has really long hair and was given one of the tubes out of the same box. She had a patch of hair missing on her right side of her back leg too, she doesn't seem as bothered by it though and is recovering. :(
So are they digging their hair out? How are they getting bald spots? So sorry you and your dogs are going through this. :hugs The hartz company should be sued.

It's a skin reaction, I guess. Our vet said, "Never never give your dogs that stuff! It's awful!"
A search of Hartz Ultraguard online led to some pretty graphic pictures of skin peeling clear off and I don't think I should put them on here though. :oops:
That's so weird. How are they allowed to sell a product like that? Poor dogs.

Same, I always tell people to steer clear of Hartz products. Not only do they not work well, but there are far too many animals that have severe adverse reactions for me to even remotely consider their stuff safe. We used their cat flea prevention on our cat when I was a kid and she got horrifically ill from it. She recovered, thankfully, but we tossed the rest of the box and got stuff from the vet instead and she never had a problem with that. Even the method of application for the Hartz stuff was ridiculous (put a line of it down the cat's entire back all the way to the base of her tail? well of COURSE a cat's going to lick it all off and get sick!)

I'm so sorry your poor pup is going through this. Here's to a fast recovery.

Best to get flea products direct from your Vet. Not even online. So many fakes are absolute look-alikes its not even funny. The problem is--it's not the same product! And it's very unsafe! Believe me, I know how expensive it is, but it's so worth the piece of mind! Good luck to your pup. (who btw looks like my Pup-Pup, she was an English Mastiff)

Back
Top Bottom