Harvest Regret

Kkaysue

Chirping
Jul 18, 2021
Alaska
Hello. I’m wondering if this is common with turkeys but we just harvested our three boys three days ago and I’m blown away by how much I have mourned and missed them. I’m doubting I will be able to keep them next year. We’ve had three batches of Cornish cross that I had no problems with but these turkeys, I had no idea how sad it would be. This is our second year of keeping feathers (chickens and turkeys) but we hunt and fish and things. So. Idk. Just sad in AK

Turkeys are way more personable than broilers, I agree. Everything comes with time though. People are generally butchering less turkeys than they are butchering broilers too and I think there's power in numbers in that the more you butcher, the more you become ok with it.

Hello. I’m wondering if this is common with turkeys but we just harvested our three boys three days ago and I’m blown away by how much I have mourned and missed them. I’m doubting I will be able to keep them next year. We’ve had three batches of Cornish cross that I had no problems with but these turkeys, I had no idea how sad it would be. This is our second year of keeping feathers (chickens and turkeys) but we hunt and fish and things. So. Idk. Just sad in AK
Turkey poults are extremely easy to get attached to. If you are raising turkeys to process do not play with them as poults. Leave them alone and stay as detached from them as you can.

Last edited:
thank you!!! You’re all right. I got way too attached to those turkeys. They have so much personality and we kept them in a place where I would see them often. I’ve already decided to move them for next year and definitely will not interact with them except to feed/water. Thanks for replying. You definitely made me feel better

Turkeys are way more personable than broilers, I agree. Everything comes with time though. People are generally butchering less turkeys than they are butchering broilers too and I think there's power in numbers in that the more you butcher, the more you become ok with it.
Yah I agree. I have a bunch of turkeys and the sheer number of turkeys stops me from really caring much if one dies or if butcher one. But when butchered my extra drake ducks I was really sad and really disliked the whole experience. For the second drake I said 'thankyou' and 'goodbye' to him then listened to an audiobook to help distract myself from the unpleasantness of killing him. Poor duckies. Still one more drake to butcher and I am procrastinating about it for sure.

Yah I agree. I have a bunch of turkeys and the sheer number of turkeys stops me from really caring much if one dies or if butcher one. But when butchered my extra drake ducks I was really sad and really disliked the whole experience. For the second drake I said 'thankyou' and 'goodbye' to him then listened to an audiobook to help distract myself from the unpleasantness of killing him. Poor duckies. Still one more drake to butcher and I am procrastinating about it for sure.
Oh, I know what you mean for sure. I really thought knowing we were harvesting them would help me not get attached but that didn’t help us at all. I wish we could have more and then i wouldn’t care as much, we just don’t have the space for more. I’m sorry you have one left to go. I’m sure you are dreading it

Back
Top Bottom