Harvested 15 CX are chilling on water/ice, now what?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Engteacher, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I have them bagged and in ice filled water. How long do I chill them? Do I then move them to the fridge or can they go directly to the freezer? I don't want to overload the freezer, could I move 7 to the freezer and 7 to the fridge?

Can you tell I'm a first timer? I've only done one at a time before and have cooked it within a day or two.

Thanks!

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I usually allow mine to chill for 24-48 hours before freezing.

3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I keep mine in ice for up to a week. Not necessary but I do it anyway. Then I cut up whats being cut up and they go directly to the freezer. You do want to chill at least 24-48 hours though. Get all the rigormortis out and the meat good and relaxed.
    Nothing better than chicken you've raised. They really do taste more like chicken than the one bought at Wal-Mart. We rarely buy chicken anymore unless they still have heads,feet and feathers still attached. [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Ship them to MY house...

[​IMG] Ya done good!

5. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I know they say to let chill, but mine are in the freezer about 8 hours after and they've all be awesome!

7. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    Central Maine
    Once my birds are processed (at home), they set on ice/water for as long it takes me to finish processing the birds I plan on.
    I then take the 1st processed birds (on ice) and put them in sucky bags, suck out the air.............and freezer camp they go.
    I have had no problems with that method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by