1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Harvesting my 18 month old hens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcdez, Nov 9, 2015.

1. mcdez

mcdez New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi all!

Just wanted to get some insight on butchering my 6 hens for food. They are 18 months old- if I let them sit for a couple of days would they be at all tasty? Is this going to be a ground chicken and stock thing only? Thanks for the input!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The day before culling, do not allow access to food (but water, of course). Some people let the meat rest for a couple of days or so in the fridge, others make brine and leave them for roughly the same time. If you use a slow-cooker the meat should be relatively tender - the taste makes up for any toughness in my opinion. Stewing is the only way forward for chickens of that age i would suggest.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's been a long time since I've butchered a layer, but low and slow is going to be the way to go. They usually have a lot more fat than a cockerel, so you might want to render some of that out also. If I recall correctly, I just pressure cooked my hens the same as I do the cockerels and they came out great. Pull the meat and use for recipes calling for cooked chicken--enchiladas, casseroles, etc.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by