1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Harvesting Slugs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GarlicEater, Feb 24, 2011.

1. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    I'm idly thinking here .... I could lay out a few flat boards, then gather the resulting slugs from underneath and give 'em to my gals. Hmm, brush 'em with a broom or shop brush into some sort of pan....

I *know* chickens love snails, but there's a dearth of them so far this year.

Just an idea.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Some chickens won't eat slugs, some will. Mine let the slugs have their layer pellets. [​IMG] There was a video posted a few months ago of someone using scissors to cut up the slugs for their chickens. [​IMG]

Imp

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My little roo got a slug the other day when I moved some wood. I was scared to death he was going to choke. As soon as went to try to get it away from him he slurped it down without a problem. [​IMG]

4. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I put out a pie pan of beer with a few layer pellets floating in it, the next morning I just toss the dead slugs into their run. The added pellets seem to attract more slugs than just the beer alone.
    Helps my chickens, helps my garden, and it sure don't bother me to drink 3/4 of a beer every evening to "make bait."[​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] Now I am picturing tipsy chickens!! (That would have been a cool screen name...Tipsy_Chickens...I like it!! ) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by