1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Harware cloth question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by domromer, Jul 6, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    In my coop I have some windows that I want to cover with harwear cloth. I'm not sure how to secure it. I used staple to secure the chicken wire in the run but the staples barely stuck into the wood. Fine for keeping the chickens in. But I suspect they could be easily pulled out of the wall by a hungry coon.

Is there a certain gauge/type of staple that is good for sercuring the harware cloth to keep the preadators out?

2. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    We used nails with large flat heads. They seem to hold better than staples. Hardware cloth is a pain IMO. But wort it in the long run.

3. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    We found something called poultry net staples, they're like nails with points on both ends, bent in a u shape. pretty easy to bang in.

also, while browsing coop photos, I've seen people use nails with washers to help make sure the nail doesn't slip.

4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes.....we call them " U- Nails" around here! That is what we used!!

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    We usually use good sized wood screws with big washers because screws are harder to pull out than nails.

6. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    best thing I have found... roofing nails...

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    we use 1/2 inch carpenter staples, or place a board over the wire and put screw's threw it

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We thought about staples and decided on wood screws and washers. If you drill a pilot hole first, it's easier.

Even if you go with staples, a few wood screws will give added strength, if you ever have a big raccoon trying to bust in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by