Has a canary snuck in with my chickens?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggcited2, Aug 3, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    For about three weeks now I keep hearing what sounds like a canary getting ready to sing, coming from my group of chickens. If you have ever had a canary or been around one when it was just getting ready to break into song, that chortle they do is what I am hearing from in with my chickens. I don't know who or which one is doing it.

I have two cuckoo marans pullets, three partridge rock pullets, two red star pullets, three welsumer pullets and one welsummer roo. All just over 7 weeks old.

Anyone got an idea of who might be my canary impersonator????? [​IMG]

2. sprawli

sprawli In the Brooder

May 27, 2010
    We have 2 silver cuckoo marans that are still chirping. I have never heard the canary chortle, but Yin and Yang both make a different noise that sounds like a sustained chirping - especially when we pick them up.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Some of my chicks have been "trillers." I know the sound you mean - and that's it! Not all of the chicks do it, but I've had about six out of 25 or so that make that trilling sound. It normally signifies contentment, as they all snuggle together.

It doesn't last -well, not totally. There will still be a similar sound, now and then, amongst the older chickens. Almost like a purr. I don't think it's breed specific, either. But of my varied flock (listed in my signature paragraph) those that match what you've got are: a cuckoo marans, a BR, a BSL (kinda sorta the same as a red star I guess), and 2 welsummers.

I KNOW my Black Australorp did it as a youngster, having identified her early on as the "triller" in the brooder.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Trilling is a perfect name/description for it. [​IMG]

I'm glad it means contentment. I have noticed it happens when they are all quite (not chirping when eating or right after getting treats put in) settled in and snuggled together.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My production reds would trill like that. One would even answer back if you attempted to do it. They were probably about that age too. I pulled up a canary singing on YouTube and when the video was over, one of them answered back. Now that they are all in the hen house, I missed the sound so much that I now have a canary....well....I've wanted a canary for awhile but that just sealed the deal. I'm a bit of a bird freak.

6. sprawli

sprawli In the Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Quote:hehe! [​IMG]

7. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:I love hearing a canary sing. I have had a couple over the years and their beautiful songs were such a joy! I have wanted another one, but not many privet sellers anymore. The chain stores sell canaries, but they do not guarantee that it is a male and only males sing. I am not about to pay $100 or more for what would turn out to be a female canary and not have it sing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by