Has any one ever heard if this????????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheOldHen, Nov 4, 2011.

1. TheOldHen

TheOldHen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Green Bay,WI
    Long story short---had 4 hens, after a while realized one was a rooster. Due to city law, had to replace him with a different hen. So now two of the hens have red wattlers and comb, but one is only laying---the other two are a little behind. A farmer told me that some times when a rooster leaves the hen on the top of the picking order will take over the rooster roll and NEVER lay any eggs??? Has anyone heard this or is this just a "farmer tale"?

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would say take over as a boss hen but dont think that they will just stop laying. [​IMG]

3. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Our boss hen still lays. In fact she lays better now that she has the cochins to boss around as well as her 3 RSL coop-mates. So much better, in fact, that she may have gotten her one way ticket to Camp Frigidaire canceled.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

5. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Our "boss hen" is one of our best layers until she goes broody. She's still boss then, but just preoccupied with eggs or chicks. NO one messes with her though - ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by