has any one ever used an rcom mini incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quintinp, Dec 16, 2010.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i have an rcom mini incubator, just got it, got the E-z scope with it too, and i really want to see some pics of peoples rcom incubator actually hatching some eggs, i have no eggs to hatch at the moment, so i don't even know what to think about my new incubator, p.s. i really don't want to here any really negative comments about this incubator, i would like to think i made a good choice by buying this incubator

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have had an egg hatch in mine.

It's very easy to use. You can't go hog-wild hatching eggs when there is only room enough for three.

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    yeah thanks for replying, did you only have one egg set when you hatched in it, or did only one out of three hatch, because i have been using a little giant incubator for a long time now, and im tired of being disappointed by only having 6 out of 20 hatch

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've set 3 eggs in it twice and only had one hatch. Total. But some of these were shipped eggs, kinda "scrambled" in transit, and maybe a little old the second time. However, I would do a test hatch of some not very important eggs, first, to see how it works for you. My first set of three, I am not even sure the other two eggs were fertile... I was pretty thrilled one hatched at all!

I now use other incubators. I've had a lot of eggs not hatch in them, too. It doesn't bother me, because I have too many chickens anyway. [​IMG]

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    thanks for being my only peep to reply to my question about rcoms

6. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I've heard the rcoms are terrible, because their small size makes keeping the temperature and humidity tough, I've heard of several ways to keep the temp steady like using tinfoil and stuff when its much easier with an lg. Stick with the lg, it works for me.

7. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    thank you for telling me that the incubator i got was terrible, that makes me feel really good about all the money i spent, jk i do not like lg's though, an elderly man from my church, and i talk about incubators, and we both agree, that they are not good incubators, because you have to baby the still-air ones, which is all i ever find in my local feed stores, but i do have a lg, i have had a few hatch, in all though i have had about 8 different tries with it, and have had about 20 hatch and that is alot of chicks, if it were all at one time, but i have had this many in all of my hatches, with my still-air incubator, i will have to get a fan for it, and then see how it works

8. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    The RCom's are generally very good at keeping temperature, after opening the lid they will regain temperature in 30 seconds of replacing the lid

I originally purchased a RCom 3 but the turner wasnt working at all so I exchanged it for a RCom 20 which has just been fantastic so far.

If you fit the plastic tray they supply for lockdown you would probably be able to fit 6 bantam eggs in there, you will have to turn them by hand though which is no big deal.

9. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    yeah thanks

10. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have an RCOM 20 and I LOVE IT!!! I hate the LG, it was a big waste of money. The temp and humidity are rock solid in my rcom and the big viewing window is great for watching the peeps pop out. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by