Has any one used Worm X for de-worming their coturnix quails? and other concerns....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kosherpickle, Apr 28, 2017.

1. kosherpickle

kosherpickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi there,

I've got a few concerns and I'm hoping someone can think of something I might be missing or overlooking.

I purchased a product on line called Worm X . This is where I bought it http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/AB10272.html.

I was hoping to hear from those who may have used this product. On the bottle there is no mention of antibiotic, however on the website, it suggests using a full spectrum antibiotic after treatment with Worm X, then, probiotics. I have a full spectrum antibiotic as well as probiotics to follow up with but was wondering if this is necessary.

When I started researching about deworming (my quails live in a coop with access to an aviary on the ground) I read that it was wise to use two different de wormers.
    One kind of dewormer in the spring, then another kind in the fall. (so that worms don't become resistant to the same meds).
    On this bottle, instructions read to give every 3 to 4 months. Could this be for possible eggs that may still exist?

bottle says:

Directions for use mix 1/2 tsp of worm x to 2/3 cup of water and give for 2 days to all birds.

Pigeons give 1/2 tsp of worm x in 1 1/3 cup of water for 2 days. All birds should be treated every 3 to 4 months.

I'm wondering if the dosage for coturnix quail should be that of the pigeon ratio mix because of similar size. Any thoughts on this?

My covey will be growing in size soon as I have 15 quail and plan on incubating approx 20 eggs.

Presently, I have two adult quail in quarantine (male and female) that were given to me by a neighbour and are unrelated to my own birds.
    This male will bring some very much needed new genetics to my group. They have been in quarantine for 9 days now and will be in 4 weeks quarantine total. I plan on giving the quarantined quails and my established quails the worm meds at the same time.
    Is is okay, to go ahead with the worm meds now, and by the time the quarantine is over my two birds would have finished their worm meds, antibiotics (with probiotics afterwards)?

I then hope and plan to introduce the new quails after quarantine within the group (separated but amongst the others to get used to each other ) for a week before I breed and collect eggs to incubate.

Any thoughts on if it is necessary to follow up de wormer with antibiotics ? Also, is there anything else in your experience that I may be overlooking ? I wouldnt eat any eggs while they are on meds, but how long should i wait until I consume? Perhaps wait a week after?

Many thanks for reading and any insight you may have to share.

Tracy

2. kosherpickle

Jan 29, 2014
    a little update:

I 've gone ahead and given all birds the dewormer and have decided that antibiotics arent necessary afterwards. I plan on giving probiotics just to balance their guts in case the de wormer took some of the gut flora away. I mixed the pigeon ratio so I used 1/2 tsp for 1 1/3 cup water. They will be on it for the next two days. Then two days on probiotics. If the direction did not say to give again for possible worm eggs, then I'm not going to re administer and just give them another type of dewormer in the fall (so the any parasites don't become resistant to the meds).

So far, my two new additions in quarantine are doing well !

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey there :) I don't have experience deworming but if I had a problem I would try natural methods first such as diatamaceous earth, I recall reading some studies on its effectiveness on internal parasites in horses and dogs - this isn't the best link but it explains it, https://www.vetinfo.com/using-diatomaceous-earth-to-worm-pets.html

I have used it successfully on feather lice and bird mites, you can buy it at Home Depot surprisingly as a feed additive to eliminate moisture to prevent rot. Hope the treatment helps your birds :D

4. jearl

jearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011

5. jearl

jearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Tracy, with quail there's so little info on the net.,,what kind of antibiotic did you buy? What kind of pro biotic?

6. kosherpickle

Jan 29, 2014
    HI there Jearl,

:D

The probiotics I use is Morning Bird (bought online) just do a search and you'll find it easily and the anti biotics that I have on hand are Baytril (bought online for fungal and bacterial issues ) as well as Tylan (more for bacterial wide spectrum antibiotic ordered through my vet).

I have never used diatamaceous earth as I've read conflicting info on this method of treatment. I'm glad that it does work for some people but I'm worried that It may be too harsh on quail's lungs.

Thanks for your interest in the thread!

:D

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the info :D I never tried diatomaceous earth internally myself, just read about it, but am a total believer with how it kills mites and lice!

It doesn't work immediately like a poisonous chemical might but rather cuts their exoskeleton and then the DE helps absorb their juices, drying them out. I was so impressed with a wild baby bird crawling with mites - used a lot with him and no coughing or wheezing, I wonder if it would have any chance of a long term effect on their lungs considering they only live several years or less :eek:?

I didn't get my short haired dog flea chemicals this year because if they're discovered I'll pet him with a glove and some DE as I read good things about that :)

Of course if it were to fail then "CHEMICALS FOR ALL!!" [​IMG] Hehe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by