has any1 let a turkey hen hatch baby chickens or let a chicken hatch baby turkeys -post pics if you

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lcw1995, Dec 4, 2012.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    just a thought but figured maybe not on the first one cause maybe the turkey hen would be to large and smash the chicks? idk like i said just a though but letting a chicken hatch a baby turkey seems to be more realistic..
    if either of these have been done ; id be interested in seeming some photos of them
    please and thank you
    lcw1995

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I didn't do it myself but I read a thread a while back and the gentleman had tried to incubate turkey eggs and failed multiple times. So his friend let him 'borrow' his broody banties behinds. He gave two eggs each to three broodies. He was hopping for two or three to hatch and ended up with five! :lol:

Not sure if they let the broodies do much rearing though. He had monopolized his friends best broodies for over a month. :rolleyes:

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have tried every scenario imaginable and all of them work. If I can sit a bird to sit on an egg, the egg is going under it. :lau

This is what I have tried and it has worked like a charm. Been doing it for many years.

Turkey hen hatched chicken eggs
    Turkey hen hatched duck eggs
    Chicken hatched turkey eggs
    Chicken hatched duck eggs
    Chicken hatched goose eggs
    Chicken hatched peafowl eggs
    Chicken hatched guinea eggs
    Duck hatched turkey eggs
    Duck hatched chicken eggs
    Duck hatched goose eggs
    Goose hatched duck eggs

I think that's it..........

All were successful. Just be careful with the turkey hens sitting on the chicken eggs. Chicken eggs aren't as hard as turkey eggs and the turkey hens stand the chance of stepping on the chicken eggs and cracking and smashing them. That hatching is kinda tricky but it it's possible. Good Luck if that is what you decide to do.

Here are a few pics of my odd mismatch hatches. I have more pics but these are the only ones that I could find right now.

Turkey hatched ducklings
    [​IMG]

Chicken hatched peafowl
    [​IMG]

Chicken hatched gosling
    [​IMG]

Chicken hatched guineas
    [​IMG]

Group of Turkeys hatched duckling
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. mmi 45

mmi 45 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    dad liked to give the hens duck eggs the hens would get real upset when the ducks went for a swim

5. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

KuntryGirl

Theirs a lot of brooding going on at your place.......and confusion of who belongs to who and cant match by breed any side effects of this mismatching of breed brooding.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Nope, none at all. I keep an accurate calendar on what's what, who's who and where I steal eggs from. I have only 1 breed of duck (Muscovy), 1 breed turkey (Bourbon Red) a couple breed geese, so that's easy. All animals are healthy and no side effects, except for me. Makes me a crazy. Other than that, it's been easy. The broodys are only used as incubators. It would be the same as if someone who had more than 1 incubator going at one time with different type eggs (chicken, guinea, turkeys, ducks, peas, goose, etc.) in it. Same difference.

7. mmi 45

mmi 45 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    my dad always said a Muscovy could hatch a rock

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

9. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps