1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anybody ever ordered Silver Penciled Wyandotte's from McMurray?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by scgamecock, Aug 22, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    They are the only hatchery I know of that has them and I can't seem to find any breeders.I love Wyandotte's and the penciled pattern is so neat.

2. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Does anybody know somebody who has them?

Hello [​IMG]

3. HenAddiction

HenAddiction Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Saint Cloud
    I got mine from Cackle hatchery. Now, I just had a major ordeal with the shipment but after it was all said and done it was the post office's fault not the hatchery. The birds are all healthy and sweet. You may want to consider them.

4. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Yes, several years ago we got a few Silver Laced Wyandottes from Murray McMurray Hatchery...I imagine that's the same breed you're asking about. They were just fine, and very pretty. This summer we had to try a different hatchery because of so many breeds not being available (are more folks ordering chicks this year?), so we ordered our menagerie from My Pet Chicken. We got a Silver Laced Wyandotte, as well as Golden Laced Wyandottes (among others)........can't wait to see them as adults. This time our very friendliest chick is one of the GLW. Our chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old and quickly outgrowing their box in the bathroom!

Enjoy!

5. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Thanks for the replys but the Silver Penciled is a different pattern than the Silver Laced.They have the same pattern as a Dark Brahma.McMurray is the only hatchery that I know of that sells them, but I have received chicks from McMurray before and was pleased with what I got.I would actually get a few egg's to hatch from a breeder instead.

6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG]

This is what they look like.

7. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i have a couple of hens still from them. they're very pretty. not the sweetest of hens. the boys were very big. the penciling, of course, near the tail is muddy or maybe it's called mossy. definitely not show material but looks very nice on your lawn. people ask me how much i want for them all the time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  8. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Thanks for the replys.I know hatchery stock isn't going to be the greatest but I think these chicken's are really neat and I love Wyandote's.They are not as good of layers as my sexlinks and rir's but they have a real sweet disposition and I really love the rose comb look.I would order some but I don't need 25 more chickens right now.If I could find someone with a few eggs that would be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by