Has anybody heard of a hen mass laying before going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pennie1, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I have 2 broody hens setting on eggs in the same nest. But here is the funny part. A few weeks ago I hatched a bunch of chicks for meat. Then I noticed my 1 of my specialty hens (Standard Blue Cochin, Birchen Cochin bantam, BR bantam and a Golden Laced Polish) getting picked on relentlessly by the other 3. Next day I notice that she doesn't come out of the broody box where I keep all 4. When I go to collect eggs she's real Bi---y, but I pull out the four eggs. The day after that, I move the Polish because she is just so bossy. I notice that there are 4 more eggs under the hen, so I decide to leave them and see if she will hatch them out (last year she was an AWESOME mom). The next 2 days I don't collect eggs from that nest. In the meantime my little old BR bantam decides she is going to go broody for the first time in 4 years. On the 5th. day I decided to pull the hens out to look and see what I have and there are 18(!!!!!!!) eggs under the 2 of them. I have been trying to think of a way to explain how we got sooooo many. The Blue Cochin has 2 eggs, the Cochin bantam as 2, the Polish has 3 and the rest are the BR's. How in God's name did the BR lay that many eggs (while she has been broody) in so short a period of time??? Each hen lays a very distinct egg so I can tell who is who. That's ten eggs for this little old lady!!! I am totally amazed and was wondering, if in fact can a hen lay that many multiples in so short a period of time. Now here is another stickler. She has never been a good consistant layer. We would be lucky to get 2 eggs a week.... She was one of those chickens that you just keep cause she is so darn cute.
    I also posted this same question in "Incubating and Hatching Chicks" because it kind of fits in both categories.[​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by