1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anybody heard of Coronation Columbian Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by justbugged, Jan 31, 2009.

1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Has anybody heard of Coronation Columbian Wyandotte? [​IMG]I know of a flock in Australia. But it is rather impractical to import them. I would love to know if they available in the USA. Thanks

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ohhh! I want to see pics!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
  4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I dont know of any coronation wyandottes here in the US but thats the good thing about our poultry here, you can make them! I am pretty sure that coronation is just lavender columbian. It would be easier to do with bantams, maybe use a lavender OEGB or d'anver to start and cross it with a columbian wyandotte and do all of the proper breeding and once you get them in bantam you could then cross those with largefowl.
    Hopefully one of the lavender experts will step in and tell you the proper way to do it.

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Google search found them in Japan and AU, sorry nothing in the Us.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    There are no Coronation Columbian Wyandottes in Australia. Coronation is a Columbian with Lavender, as in Coronation Sussex.
    The birds refered to in Google are Blue Columbian Wyandottes, Columbian with hetrozygous Blue. whilst not common they are not rare either. Currently not recognised in the Australian Standard.
    I think breeder is just trying to cash in by using a different name for this colour.
    Not only is it very difficult & expensive to import into the USA, it is practically imposible to export from Australia.
    David

7. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm by no way an expert but you should be able to cross a columbian wyandotte with a lavender bantam (I'm thinking cochin would be your best bet even though you have leg feathers the body shape is similar versus mgb/oeg). Then intercross the f1 and you have a one in 238 chance of getting a lavender columbian. Of course you will need to hatch a whole lot of f2 and even then that may not be a guarantee you'll get one. Once you do have a lavender columbian you can cross it with columbian wyandotte and get more lavender columbian in the f2. Bantams would be easiest but I'd imagine if you got a lavender large fowl (amercauna/orpington projects), you could do that the same way. Thats just the way I would go about it and hopefully others have an opinion....lol.

Also apparently the uk coronation wyandottes are blue columbian and australias are lavender. http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=23424
    Coro to coro gives the 25% light and 25% white offspring you'd expect from any blue x blue mating. Over in Australia they have lavender coros so they are true breeding

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

8. Micki Blue

Micki Blue New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    Hey just bugged ! I'm the breeder in Australia with the Blue Columbian Wyandottes ( they are not Coronation, was my ignorance that refered to them as Coronation not a marketing ploy as suggested by my fellow Aussie Blackdotte ! )

As far as them not bein rare, as far as i know i'm the only breeder in Australia with them in the LARGE fowl, i know a few people have them in Bantams so Blackdotte not quite on the money there either !

It's hard sometimes to put names on things when these things are not common place, i only called them Coronations as this is the reference given to the Sussex version of the same !

Again, my ignorance that failed to see Coronation refers to the Lavender gene and not the Blue.

Anyways thought i'd clear it up for you guys, sorry i caused the confusion.

What i have is a Columbian Wyandotte, nice slate undercolor, clean white bodied and Blue . . . . where there once was Black, whatever you call them . . . . there nice to look at in the yard ! [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Post some close up pics please!

10. Micki Blue

Micki Blue New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    Will do ! I left some pics of my Blue Silvers in a post above for you for now. I'll take some happy snaps of them and post them here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by