Has anybody used.....?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vickichicki, Oct 15, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here are a few things my husband and I are mulling over... Imput would be appreicated..

We currently constructing a 8 x 10 coop, fully boarded on two sides with metal roofing.

Has anyone ever used the plastic paneling to line the enclosed area of their coop? The kind you find in commericial bathrooms etc... Nice and easy to hose off, waterproof and easy to disenefect. http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Com...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051. Like this.

Thoughts on insulating the enclosed area. I suggested sandwiching some foam in between O.S.B. My husband does not think this will be needed. Has anyone else done this?

I really think we are over thinking layouts and ideas for the coop, hence it not being completed yet.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, it's GREAT to hear that you're mulling over ideas before deciding what to do! BYC has a huge coop section and I bet you will get good feedback here, and there will likely be someone there that has used the stuff you put the link in for. I don't know that it's necessary, though, unless you're wanting it for ease of cleaning or something. I live in Michigan, and none of my coops (I have....5 coops/pens and a few indoor ones) are insulated. They really don't need to be, so long as they have ventilation, without air blowing directly on them, and a place out the weather like your coop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    Just read a post tonite from someone ( can't remember now) who used it and said it was great for cleaning and looked great...do a search on the product type...they used the same name....good luck, I'm installing it in my coop also.

4. Brucepierce

Brucepierce Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Just outside Boston
    My Coop
    Lorain's fids

Has photos too

5. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    I have this in the wash stall of my horse bathing area and I love it! It is durable and quite easy to maintain.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and as always,,, we want pictures!

MB

6. nice to see another Hoosier. Although I am in east tn. now I still have family there in south as well as west Indy (outside 465) I agree on the insulation not being necessary. It is nice to have, but not necessary. Any time you can line the coop with something that is easily washable and dust wont stick to as easily...do it!! You will be so much happier in the future. Of course a good coat of high gloss light colored paint works great as well for the folks that already may have plywood up.

Your looking at 3 main benefits really. Easily cleaned, less bacterial absorption, and less places for mites to hide. Mites don't really like anything but raw wood (and chicken feathers of course). So what ever is not covered by a slick surface I would paint with white high gloss paint. Just be sure and let it air out for a week (yes.. a whole week) before placing anything else in the coop.

7. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    I put the FRP down on the floor of my coop and then covered with sand.. Makes it easy to scoop and clean..

8. werepoodle

werepoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    San Angelo, TX
    Newbie here, also working on a coop.....what is FRP?

9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    It stands for Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic, the white sheets the thread starter put a link to in the first post.

Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Werepoodle!

So glad you have joined up! Do you have chickens yet? What kind of coop are you building!

Have a great day!

MB

10. werepoodle

werepoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    San Angelo, TX
    I am working on a modified ark using old wood fence panels we had left over. I am in the middle of town (not far from a college) so I am reading everything I can on keeping it clean. No Chickens yet, looking at silkies and NN silkies but I also love cochins and polish bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by