has anyoe used Diatomaceous ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hunterlauren93, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hunterlauren93

Hunterlauren93 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Forest
    My chickens have lice. I tried the whole lice shampoo stuff that i read on the thread on here. How do you use it for chickens? Where do you put it? Also what else do yall use it for?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Diatomaceous Earth is not a shampoo. Your thread title and the word "shampoo" confused me a bit. If your birds already have lice, you can try to get food grade Diatomaceous Earth (not regular DE!), but you'd best get poultry dust or Sevin Dust and nip it in the bud quicker. DE will kill lice, yes, but it's expensive and harder to find than the other. Pet stores also carry a lice/mite spray for parrots if you have only a few birds.

ETA: When I bought the late great Hawkeye, he came complete with a bad lice infestation. All I used was food grade DE in his bedding in the quarantine dog kennel and on him and it killed them all, so it does work, but if you have more than a few birds, it may be best to use something else if the lice have a foothold.

4. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    I use DE often, but I think once you have an infestation you need something stronger to get rid of it. DE is a good preventative. Sevin is a good tx for your chickens.

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:x2

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Sevin dust would be a much better choice. DE is a preventive and Sevin dust is a pesticide and will kill the lice much faster. Good luck!

7. Hunterlauren93

Jul 4, 2011
    Forest
    Quote:I know its not a shampoo, i used a cat lice shampoo. I wanted to know what people use Diatamaceous for as well. I only have 6 chickens.

8. Hunterlauren93

Jul 4, 2011
    Forest
    Also, if it says for us not to inhale it, isnt it bad for chickens? How much do you put on chickens?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You should never inhale any powdery substance, even wheat flour. Diatomaceous Earth is a very, very fine fossil shell flour and if you get a snootful of anything like that, it can be harmful. It's not poisonous, per se.

I put some in an old parmesan cheese shaker can, then I dust their tushes, under the wings and under the hackle feathers and let them go, doesn't take much at all.

10. Mike & Baby Chicken

Mike & Baby Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    SW Washington
    Great info!! Need to bookmark this thread... hopefully our girls never get lice, but just in case!! THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by