Has anyone added Flax seed to their feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by taisamarie, Aug 6, 2007.

1. taisamarie

taisamarie New Egg

Aug 6, 2007
    I've been reading around the net for a while and keep coming across sites that advocate adding a bit of flax seed to chicken's diets as another source of fatty acids in their diet. I have a field of flax that I harvest for myself anyway, so added cost isnt an issue. But I was wondering if anyone else had tried it or uses it on a regular basis? They do seem to LOVE it (as when they get out they go straight for the flax field), but I wanted to hear from someone else who gives it to their chickens on a regular basis, if anyone has had any problems with it, etc.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Taisa

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I give it to my chickens, but it is a flaxseed ground supplement. It's for horses but i thought if it did wonders for my horses why not try the chickens. I've been using it since they were a about a month old, i just throw about 1/4 cup in their feeder about 3x week and they are plumper,(not fat) have shiny thick feathers and very happy birds.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I have is as part of my feed mix. Well worth it, especially if you are also after a higher omega3 (lower cholesterol) egg.

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    HI,,,
    WHICH ONE IS BETTER THE WHOLE FLAXSEED OR THE GROUND UP ONE?

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

And where do you get?...... dang I have posted more today then I have all year....

6. miss_inscan

miss_inscan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    Troutdale, OR
    Funny thing, I just gave my girls some this week. They loved it.

I think I'll try the flax seed meal, since some of the seeds went right through them, whole.

I thought of it when I was reading the label on the flax seed meal. I put it in my oatmeal every day.

I buy mine at the grocery store, on the baking aisle. Bob's Red Mill is a good brand here. Some stores sell it in the bulk section

Barb

7. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    I buy mine by the pound at the pet store. Some feed stores will carry it to. I just toss it in with all the other seed I buy. When I see a seed (any type) at a good price I buy 25-100lbs of it, store it then just make my own mix out of it.

Bubba

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Bubba - I have seen it at the grocery store was wanting to know where to buy it bulk. Good advice about just buying seed on sale and making your own - forgot about that. It was in Storey 'sGuide to Raising....

Without hijacking the thread I bought way too much scratch and pellets (50# of each and only 3 birds) and now I have bugs in the feed even though I poured in to an airtight rubbermaid container - can I mix in the DE (yes "poultry" Quality) to this to help get rid of the bugs?

9. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll have to go dfind the old thread on the old board...but you have to be careful about giving too much flax seed to chickens...

I sure do wish I remembered how much was too much!

Sandra

10. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    You can add DE to any feed or seed mix. It destroys grubs and worms. It is also an anti-caking agent so it helps things last longer also. As long as it is CODEX FOOD GRADE it will be fine. You may even want to try some people rave by it, me IDK if its ever done anything for me.

Bubba

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by