Has anyone ate Silkie??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by island.girlie, Nov 7, 2008.

1. island.girlie

island.girlie Chillin' With My Peeps

I read an article about Silkies being very popular in fine Chinese restaurants. Also Chinese alternative medicine doctors recommend it to females with infertility problems. It's suppose to have many more vitamins than your standard chickens. Does anyone here eat them?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    paging Purple Chicken....

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    My oldest friend's mom cooks them for Chinese New Year every winter, and I might have eaten it, but I don't think it struck me as memorable.

island.girlie :

I read an article about Silkies being very popular in fine Chinese restaurants. Also Chinese alternative medicine doctors recommend it to females with infertility problems. It's suppose to have many more vitamins than your standard chickens. Does anyone here eat them?​

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone here posted pics of silkies bought in the grocery store. I can't remember who it was ...Little Chicken Racing Team i think was the name... i think... They were packaged just like if you were to go buy a half chicken. They looked good to me. If I have roos, we might give em a try.

5. island.girlie

I've been reading a book on old world Chinese medicine and they mention "black bone" chicken quite a bit.

They're so cute, and funny. My husband thinks they're ugly, what a fuzzy butt he is [​IMG]

6. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i ate some the other day. half of the meat was purple. but it still was very good!

7. island.girlie

Quote:Right on Miron! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's suppose to have healing properties. Good for you.

8. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    island.girlie :

Quote:Right on Miron! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's suppose to have healing properties. Good for you.

really? that is good to know now i have a good excuse to buy more chicken! [​IMG] i will eat just about any kind of animal​

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  9. island.girlie

Quote:LMAO! [​IMG]

10. alidansma

alidansma New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    I have eaten my silkies, would you like a picture?

I am thinking of different ways to cook them though, since the crock pot didn't turn out so well. Also the meat is grey, so it kind of looks bad from the start.

I only ate them because I have so many roos.
    I read somewhere else that the bones have antioxidants, but I haven't seen any thing official on that. It would be interesting to see the nutrition content on a silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by