Has anyone bought a coop from mypetchicken.com?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieInSTL, Aug 7, 2017.

1. SophieInSTL

SophieInSTL Hatching

Jul 31, 2017
  2. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chirping

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    Hi SophieInSTL. I'm a 20 minute drive from the Arch so welcome to the neighborhood. Not knowing your setup, I can only say I would not recommend buying one of those new. It won't last very long and you'll lose a lot trying to sell it 2nd-hand. If that's the style you think you'd like, check out the local Market sites on Facebook and Craigslist. I've seen a lot of those advertised.

3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Pre fab coops are often flimsy. And are too small for the recommended amount with them. You could have maybe 2 adult laying hens in that and it would be cramped.

Check local, there might be a place that has a nice one fully built and ready. And depending on your location you have to think about the birds being inside the coop all day. So more space is better.

BYChickenAl likes this.
  4. adrikeen

adrikeen Whooo let the chicks ooout? Peep...peep...peep

Sep 10, 2012
    Newark Delaware
    I recommend the Formex Snap Lock houses. I went through 3 wooden coops with runs and like everyone said...they don't last long. I've had the Formex ones now for about 7 years and they look like new. They are expensive but well worth it. 4 chickens will fit but be snug in the small one. The unfortunate thing is you will have to build a run or enclose the house within a large run. However, I imagine the run part would be much cheaper than constantly having to replace the house.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  5. SophieInSTL

SophieInSTL Hatching

Jul 31, 2017
    What sites on FB would you suggest? I just put in a request on STL backyard chickens. I've been contacting people on craigslist but the coops are gone within a day!

6. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chirping

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    FB Marketplace is a great site

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: