Has anyone bought a coop from this company

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NHN, Apr 7, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cute designs!

3. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    These chicken coops are made in China and can be found on alibaba.com for about $150.00 or $200.00 dollars. They sell dozens of them and they are all less than $200.00.
    All that said, you get what you pay for. They are junk, and might hold 2-4 standard size hens as long as you free range them. If you are going to pen them, then I would not put more than two hens in there.
    The best chicken coops out there are modified sheds with a minimum of 48 square feet of space, that's a 6x8 shed/coop.

You need a bigger coop.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not a good one because it will warp in a year or two. you get what you pay for.

5. yokester

yokester Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    wholesalechickencoops.com Q and A area says:

Q. Will rain cause damage to the wood?

A. Water damages all wood. They are treated with weather resistant stain. Paint can be applied for extra protection.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I personly think that they are too high, for such small coops.
    for the money they are asking you can build way better and nicer coop.

Omran

7. cochinlvr

cochinlvr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:I posted this about two weeks ago for someone else:

We own a Chick N Hutch that we use indoors only for a brooder and sick bay. We put it together, it's cheaply made and the wood tends to split and crack easily (just assembling it). I went to our local Agway two weeks ago and they had one of the same Chick N Hutch's out in their parking lot, I'd seen it there off and on since last Fall... Just with sun and rain (not much rain this year) the roof got all warped...

[​IMG]

The Chick N Hutch is the same type of construction and "treated" wood as these coops...

Like everyone else said, you don't get much for your money and what someone said about a shed ( or a dog house converted into a coop) being a better option is absolutely correct...

Save a little money and keep the well being of your future flock in mind.

Michael

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. yokester

yokester Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
  9. cochinlvr

cochinlvr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:"The Chick N Hutch is the same type of construction and "treated" wood as these coops..."
    I've seen this type coop in person at our local Agway and Rics Saddle shop, the are rather flimsy. You get what you pay for...

The problem with these types of premade coops from China is the low price is very tempting... Newbies see these and think "ok I can afford this" and are tempted by the apparent ease of assembly and the fact they can get right into the hobby for cheap without being a carpenter. The real problem with the Chick N Hutch, Chick N Barn and coops built like this is they are flimsy. Once you spend a year watching what wind, rain, hot days, snow and such do to a coop you realize how tough it is being out there a long time. I've seen these things in person. Heck I was tempted more than once to buy the Chick N Barn (which is what these coops are based on) yet when I really looked them over in person they're made of thin wood and if you look real close you can see how they just won't stand up to extended exposure to the elements...

Nothing like buying a coop built using old style building methods: glue and screws holding joints together, solid heavy wood walls, 2x4 framing, tar paper and shingle roofs.

Yokester: as I said in another thread directly to you: good luck in your search. IF you have any questions PM me, I am retired and on here off and on a lot in the day, best of luck in your search.

Michael

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. NHN

NHN Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Unfortunately I bought one before I saw all the replies. I am not a newbie to chickens But I am not one who knows how to build my own coop.

I did not pay full price for it. Thank God! Not only is it built from wood that is a bit thinker than cardboard, the directions are sorely lacking. The only way to put it together is by trial and error. It is not worth $50.00 in my opinion. It will do for my chicks until I can find someone to build me a better one. But I would not recommend it to anyone. And there is no way 4 hens could be comfortable in it. On a scale of one to ten I give it a minus 5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by