Has anyone bought duck eggs from ebay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StevenW., Jan 8, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I have. Twice. Once was Rouens and Black Swedish and all hatched just fine. The 2nd time was SUPPOSED to be pure Silver Appleyard eggs. 7 weren't viable and the one that was ended up being an Appleyar/Khaki cross. I loved him, but he sure wasn't the pure Appleyard I asked for. [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I buy and sell duck eggs on Ebay all the time. Never have any problems at all. Call duck eggs, though, are more difficult to hatch as a rule so if you have a bad hatch, you can't always blame it on the seller or the Post Office. They're just difficult to hatch in general.

Laurie

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm sorry but you always take chances when you buy eggs online [​IMG] good thing I'm not buying them silver appleyard eggs on ebay [​IMG]

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Thanks Laurie [​IMG] And no I'm not getting them eggs I'd rather buy from Holderreads [​IMG]

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have Call ducks myself and because Calls have short necks and bills, they can be difficult to hatch. Alot of times they make it all the way to hatch and then die while trying to hatch, which is really sad. Unfortunately it happens.

But duck eggs in general are pretty simple to hatch, its just that Calls are difficult.

Laurie

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I "won" a 4 call duck egg auction on eBay, really surprised me. Seller sent me 5. FOUR hatched! I have two whites and two greys. They're about 12 weeks old now. I know at least one of the whites is a female. ROFLMAO. Goodness, Nellie!

I used a Brinsea MiniAdvance EX incubator. I have never hatched ducks before.... Had only bought two Cayuga ducklings at the feed store about a year ago, and was lucky enough they are a pair. I was REALLY surprised I was so lucky with the call duck eggs.

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Thats awesome!! [​IMG] I like your signature [​IMG]

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yep, I sell on there as well as on here and off my website all the time too for my cayugas and aussie spots. Duck eggs in general are bad shippers though, especially the calls. One reason I feel is that they are such big eggs and have a lot of weight in there to help with the shaking around. Some on line folks are just crooks, so when you do do an auction purchase, reveiw their feedback, that will tell the tale on the seller pretty quick. If they only have a few feedbacks, I always pass and just buy from ones with a healthy history. Dont be quick to judge for just 1-2 bad feedbacks either, we all put warning on the risk involved in shipping, some buyers just choose to ignore that then blame the seller for all their woes when they dont get a 100% hatch. If an egg sell has several houndred possitive egg sell feedbacks, chances are you can trust them.
    I noticed your auction in question only had I thik 6 total. I would wait to be safe, I dont know this person at all mind you, but that's just my rule when buying anything off and on line auction. Give it 3-4 weeks and there will be 100 call egg auctions on ebay, you can take your choice then.

Another thing to remember on eggs this time of year. WEATHER. If they pass threw an arctic blast on the way too you and freeze, well, they are done for, same in the 100+ temps of mid summer. Eggs are always safer to ship in March threw May when the temps nation wide are fairly mild over all, not bitter cold, and not 200 degrees either

10. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm sorry but you always take chances when you buy eggs online [​IMG] good thing I'm not buying them silver appleyard eggs on ebay [​IMG]

Oh I knew I was taking a chance. Actually the lady I bought the "appleyard" eggs from was very nice and apologized over and over. Even offered to send me more for free. But by then I had been impulsive/impatient and had already purchased some Appleyard ducklings (which are now 3 beautiful big girls and one very pretty big boy) so we just called it even and let it go.

Call me crazy.... but IF I wanted to hatch more I would purchase eggs from ebay again. Like you said, you ALWAYS take a chance when you buy eggs online. And a duck addict like me isn't afraid to take some chances to get what I want [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by