has anyone bought electronic thermostat from ebay or eggbid?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigRay, Apr 17, 2009.

1. BigRay

BigRay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Easley SC
    I did and it is just a lower element thermostat for a hot water heater you can purchase at lowes for about $9.00.

2. ccscott24

ccscott24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    I was thinking of buying one from eBay. Does it really keep the temperature constant and accurately???? I would like to know how it works and how is it connected n what is removed. I have a old cabinet incubator w/a wafer thermostat n i want something to keep the temperature constant

3. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I bought one of those from Lowes and it DOES NOT keep the temp correct for incubators.. Hot water heater would work fine, but not for incubators..

100 degrees then down to 92 degrees..

5. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

i have used both. and with a little playing with you can get one to work. but you will have to rig you up a water wiggler. my goes from 97.5 to 100. that been said i spent some time getting it there.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I bought one of those from Lowes and it DOES NOT keep the temp correct for incubators.. Hot water heater would work fine, but not for incubators..

100 degrees then down to 92 degrees..

You are right, much better thermostat is this:

http://www.ozbo.com/Repti-Temp-500R-Thermome/M/B0002AQD9A.htm

Around 25 bucks, has a probe which you can place on the top of your eggs, or where you want it, and adjust the temp outside your bator.

I got one in my homemade bator, keeps the temp with .5 to. .7F

deviation. (99.2 - 99.9) at room temp swing 10 degrees (70 at nigh 80 day - April in Fl without air or heat so far)

Can your styrobator or water heater therm do that?

This is the best thermostat for the money.

JUST FOUND IT FOR 21.99 !!!

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...e=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=502819

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. BigRay

BigRay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Easley SC
    The hot water thermonstat is wired into one side of the wire or in series. I dont know how it works but will let you know within a couple of weeks. I bought it to go into an incubator I am making.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by