Has anyone bred a White Gander to a Grey Goose? What were the results?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pete55, Nov 10, 2011.

1. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Im trying to determine how the Pied gene is inherited in geese. Has anyone bred a White Gander to a Grey Goose and what colour were the offspring??? Even information on crosses would be useful, for example; Embden gander x Grey Toulouse Goose. Im afraid the only example which will not help is Pilgrims.

Many thanks

Pete [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Haven't tried it, but I've got 6 with a blue father and a gray saddleback mother. Some are blue and some are well marked saddleback. Colors are various shades of gray from blue to a very dark charcoal. One has mossy feathers. Very pretty, but a serious fault for showing.

Color patterns didn't mingle. It was either/or.

You might possibly get sex linked goslings. ?

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've seen offspring of feral and free ranging geese that were from a gray parent and a white parent (I believe the parents were Toulouse and Embden). Surprisingly, they all either turned out all white, or mostly white with a small amount of gray.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd like to know too. Going to have a white gander over grey (as in cotton patch, not toulouse) goose. All my girls are different colors and I cannot figure out how to use the goose color calculator. [​IMG]

5. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks for the input everybody - its appreciated. Im pretty sure I've seen the results myself with a White Embden Gander x Brown African Goose. The result was dilute grey males (looked almost blue) and white females.

[​IMG]

Just need more mating results from other members so there is sufficient evidence to conclude that the Pied gene is sex-linked.

Pete [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok little info on genetic....in all other birds i have bred...peafowl ,parakeets, cockatiels, and etc.

to get pieds you need a white gene and also a pied gene...would think that would be the case with geese also.....plus pied to pied do not = 100 pied young. now birds split white will have a few white feather, but not like a pied

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Like to add one thing a white is a absent of color. so white just mask the color of the bird. like a white rock chicken, most are barred rock under the white. so that white goose could be grey, blue or another color under the white. when a white is mate to a color bird then their color could show up in their young.

8. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks for your input Deerman - its appreciated [​IMG]

It appears the Pied gene works a little differently in geese and may be sex-linked recessive. Just need more evidence from test matings to prove this.

Pete [​IMG]

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Be real easy to find out. pied gander X non pied goose=all pied females non pied male......if its a true sex link

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Pete, I have a Brown Chinese gander who is madly in love with a Roman Tufted goose and vice versa. We got a very light grey almost blue offspring. I'll get pics tomorrow of the one gander we kept, tomorrow. He's actually quite nice looking.

And he has his mother's tuft!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by