Has anyone bred lavender to other colors beside black?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tony, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I`ve read many times here about the Lav and Black breedings and how it works and pretty much understand it. My question is, what about breeding lav to other colors. Black breasted reds, buffs, white, barred...etc.
    Does the color show up in the first set of offspring? This question applies to ANY of the known lavenders. Silkies,Orpingtons,D`uccles, OEG,Dutch etc.
    Pics if you have them would be great. thanks, Tony

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For lavender to show, the chick must inherit a copy from each parent. If the bird doesn't have two copies, there is no way to tell whether it is there or not.

So yes, you could breed a lavender to any of the named varieties and have lavender something or other (barring, mottling, lacing, etc.) offspring. However, the chances of that actually occuring are pretty slim unless lavender has already been bred into that line.

It normally takes two generations to bring lavender into a new variety or breed.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    mille fleur + lav = porcelain....

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:A small percentage in 2 generations and hatch lots ...

5. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    ok, I understand now. For some reason I was thinking the offspring would show lav of some degree in the first hatch. I`ve had blue orp roos breed buff orp hens and produce offspring showing both colors on the first hatch.

6. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I`ve had blue orp roos breed buff orp hens and produce offspring showing both colors on the first hatch

Blue is not the same as lavender. Is there some reason you expected lavender?
    I've seen from buff orp crosses with dark cuckoo that the pheomalinin shows more than might be expected in the offspring.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by