1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

has anyone built a duck and chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm thinking of getting a duck and keeping it with my girls, they will be raised together. Has anyone built a coop that will suit both of them?

2. Godzilla1916

Godzilla1916 Out Of The Brooder

Sorry, no help here, but I've been wondering the same thing??? Anyone out there who keeps ducks and chickens together?[​IMG]

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I have 2 ducks that i assumed could stay with my chickens im wondering if i was right to anyone

4. HummingbirdandMatt

HummingbirdandMatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Abbeville, AL
    We have two small mallard ducks that we bought at TSC last month. We are going to build them a pen of their own soon, but for right now they are in the coop with the rest of the chickens. We haven't had any problems so far. They are about 2 months old and have been in the coop for about 3 weeks. The chickens treat them just like the other chicks that are in the pen.

5. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I think I have read on here that two problems with that would be that a: the ducks' poo is a lot slicker and messier than chicken poo, and b: the ducks will play in the waterer and make it super messy.

I just remember reading that, I have never experienced it. I guess if you can solve those two problems, maybe it's not a big deal! good luck!

6. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    Quote:How can anything be messier than chicken poop? lol

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Duck poo has more water content and they need to be able to submerge their beaks in water to clear them out. They don't have to swim, just have to submerge the beak. Also, if you raise them from chicks together, ducks can ONLY eat non medicated feed because they eat more and will over dose themselves. Some large ducks need bigger nest boxes. Other than that, they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by