Has anyone built an automatic door?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by enriquec, Oct 17, 2014.

1. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I saw a simple one on YouTube to lift and lower the door on a timer. I have a sliding glass door for the ducks tho..

When are ideal open/close times? I was thinking sunrise&set but now I'm thinking 30 mins after it's completely dark to make no one gets locked out.

An automatic timer feeder would be great too. I'm fine for a while but eventually we'll have holidays and travel and I'd rather trust a machine and neighbor than human alone.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't use an automatic - I can see the reason to want one. And I do know of flocks lost because a person failed to close the door.

I do a head count twice after I think everyone is in. That has saved a duck or two over the years.

What about a remote camera? That might have advantages as well.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I will be interested to see your responses. While I would still go check and cover feeders sometimes life happens and we aren't always home at lock up time. It's Always a worry and we often find ourselves leaving things early to go lock up.

4. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I would definitely check and count everyday like I do now. But eventually I wont be home and I'd like to know everything's working right.

At a curiosity, what happened that almost lead to losing a duck or two? I cant help but count, just in case, but they always stick together. What separated yours @Amiga ?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes a duck will lag behind or want to stay outside instead of come in with the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by