1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone built the "Garden Coop"?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ernie, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm interested in the Garden Coop plans that I've seen available on craigslist: http://www.thegardencoop.com/photos.html

Anybody
    build one of these and if so, what do you think? How much did it cost you to build it and are you happy with the design? What do the rest of you think of the design? Looks relatively simple to put together.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. RubyMabelandPearl

RubyMabelandPearl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Hi! I built the garden coop (well, my husband did most of the work [​IMG] and we love it. It cost us about $550- $575. I like it because we have a small yard that we spend a lot of time in and it looks like it is part of the garden. We call it the Coop de Ville. LOL. The chickens love it. They made themselves at home right away.

The only drawbacks are that it was pretty expensive to build and took a lot longer than we thought it would to build it. I would give yourself AT LEAST two weekends maybe three along with another set of hands for a lot of the work. The only thing I would change is to put the nesting boxes on the exterior of the hen house so the hens have more room in the coop. There are some pictures on the website of someone who did just that. We are going to change it when we have some time.

Money aside, we are very happy we chose the garden coop. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Happy Building!

3. RubyMabelandPearl

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Here are pictures of our garden coop:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    thanks for posting this... i like that design and may have to buy the plans.. although the materials are a little high for me.. wonder what i can salvage from the empty lot across the street??? lol....

5. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. RubyMabelandPearl

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Wow Hippiechickens- that coop looks awesome! I like how you gave them more room. We only have three hens in ours- he says its for 8 but I don't know how 8 hens would fit in the hen house to sleep!!?? How many do you/will you have? We are going to get two more in the spring and have 5 total. I think that is when we will also move the nesting boxes to the exterior.

We also have a fenced in run for them (about 15ftx25ft) to free range in the day that is connected to the coop (not in my pictures- it was added later) but its only 3 feet high and they have discovered how to jump the fence. We are going to make the fence higher next weekend.

Jessica

7. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    Beautiful coops [​IMG] what are the roof panels made of?

8. RubyMabelandPearl

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The plans call for a corrugated plastic roofing called SunTuf http://www.palramamericas.com/Suntuf

It
    says to use the tinted one but we used clear because it was cheaper and there is a lilac tree south of the coop that blocks the hot sun from baking the hens in the summer. And it doesn't get really hot here in Portland.

Jessica

9. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    It looks gorgeous, thank you for answering that [​IMG]

10. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have been looking at plans for more than a year and this exactly what I want to build!

Never had come across this site before. Thanks for sharing the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by