Has anyone consistently not turned?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    If so, how did it work? I have heard both ways, and was just wondering. Not spending money on the turner or having to worry about hand turning would be nice, but if it doesn't work well than it isn't worth it.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you search, there are a few threads on this topic if my memmory serves me right. I think the conclusion was, yes you can do it, but you may just lose a few chicks in the process. Not that big of a deal if you're hatching just one bator full, but a huge deal if you do thousands of eggs like a commecial hatchery, which is why turning is "tried and tested"

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I think this is a duplicate post. I have a batch due today that I did not turn. As of day 18, every egg I set, had a moving chick in it. Hopefully all goes well, I will let you know.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Today is day 21 of the batch that I did not turn. I started with 20 eggs and have 19 fully developed. 1 was not fertile. 4 of them have hatched so far and about 5 more pipped and one died half way out of egg. It appears that it had an infection in its abdominal area where the u-cord is. I am hoping to have more pip sometime tonight.

5. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Just wondering how your hatching turned out.
    I have 18 in the banter now and am pretty sure the turner is not working, so I suddenly have an interest in this question [​IMG]

Theresa

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Without turning the chicks usually stick to the membrane and shell. Often they will have a deformity and you'll see some aweful things when they hatch. Some do hatch fine but for the most part they don't. Turning is critical in the first 7 days. Turning exercises the chick helping to keep it moving and strong. It also keeps it from sticking to the shell.

7. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Hi Miss Prissy,
    I am on day 12 is there anything I can do at this point? I do have another turner do you think I should make a switch at this point?

Edited to say that I switched them over to the other banter and yes the turner was not working.[​IMG]

Thanks
    Theresa

Last edited: May 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by