Has anyone constructed a cord wood coop?

Houstonia

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
Hudson River Valley
I am thinking about a cord wood coop for the ladies. Especially after this long NY winter. Our coop is falling apart due to a fisher cat that tried to get in through the plexiglass sunroof. We have foxes, coyotes, hawks, bald eagles, dogs, raccoons, and fisher cats as predators. So I am thinking industrial strength. Any thoughts, tips, pictures? Or favorite coop kits?

I'd be interested in seeing what other folks have, also. My honey got the okay to buy a portable sawmill this spring, with the agreement a breeding pen in the first project
wink.png
. Then again, I'm not as predator-intense as you are, so mine will be a little different.

I would worry about all of the little cracks between the wood pieces....

But then, i know close to nothing about building with cord wood....i just burn lots of it! :lol:

Do you mean like a log cabin coop? You could put chinking between the logs that would keep out the drafts. I live in a log house and my DH and I have built a dog cabin( dog house made out of logs) but did not make our chicken coop from logs. I would 3 side the logs, that means cut a slab off 3 sides of logs. It would make for easier cleaning and building.

I like that. my coop is made from old overhead doors that i picked up from a garage that replaced the doors the coop is 12 ft long and the sides are 54" tall

Back
Top Bottom