Has anyone constructed a cord wood coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Houstonia, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Houstonia

Houstonia New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Hudson River Valley
    I am thinking about a cord wood coop for the ladies. Especially after this long NY winter. Our coop is falling apart due to a fisher cat that tried to get in through the plexiglass sunroof. We have foxes, coyotes, hawks, bald eagles, dogs, raccoons, and fisher cats as predators. So I am thinking industrial strength. Any thoughts, tips, pictures? Or favorite coop kits?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd be interested in seeing what other folks have, also. My honey got the okay to buy a portable sawmill this spring, with the agreement a breeding pen in the first project [​IMG]. Then again, I'm not as predator-intense as you are, so mine will be a little different.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would worry about all of the little cracks between the wood pieces....

But then, i know close to nothing about building with cord wood....i just burn lots of it! :lol:

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean like a log cabin coop? You could put chinking between the logs that would keep out the drafts. I live in a log house and my DH and I have built a dog cabin( dog house made out of logs) but did not make our chicken coop from logs. I would 3 side the logs, that means cut a slab off 3 sides of logs. It would make for easier cleaning and building.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Zhoda-Dave

Zhoda-Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I like that. my coop is made from old overhead doors that i picked up from a garage that replaced the doors the coop is 12 ft long and the sides are 54" tall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by