Has anyone crossed RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by USMCSGT, May 22, 2008.

1. USMCSGT

USMCSGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    Has anyone crossed A rir with a Buff Orp? What did you come up with? Calm bird, mean bird,good layer?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Speckledhen has a very pretty hen from that cross and I just hatched some last week that are rir/buff orp.

3. USMCSGT

Mar 25, 2008
    Is that sex-link bird? Do you have any pics?

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    If you go to the top of the page and do a search on sex-link birds you can get a lot of information. I was told if you cross and RIR and a RIW you get a red sex-link and you can tell the sex of them. Hope this helps a little. I don't know what you get if you cross a rir with a Buff Orp but maybe it will tell you there.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

6. USMCSGT

Mar 25, 2008
    Now which one was the roo. The Buff or the RIR.
    He is very pretty.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a rir/buff orp hen that is the best layer of my flock..It was a RIR rooster and a Buff Orp hen..

She looks like a RIR hen....

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check out the link to my sweet Meg that Ella posted for you. Meg has a beautiful temperament, loves to be picked up and held and is an excellent layer of large eggs.

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    [​IMG]
    This is Papa, my boss roo. He is from a RIR roo and a Buff Orp hen. He is the best rooster i have ever seen. He is good with the hens,keeps order and has never been aggressive to us. He even protected my DH when a young black austrolorpe roo attacked hm. His spurs are over 3 inches long and none of my hens have spur cuts.
    Here are his spurs. Pic taken last year.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HOLY MOLEY!!!!!!!! He has enormous spurs!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by