Has anyone decorated the inside of your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Juliamay, May 16, 2009.

1. Juliamay

Juliamay New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Our coop will be finished soon - sort of play house style but our own design. It will have windows looking in so I was thinking of decorating the girl's coop.

Since they seem like they are sort of old ladies, I was thinking of painting it old lady style - pastels, pictures on the walls, etc.

Has anyone done this? Any pictures to share? Will I be cleaning poop off of my cute little decor?

Thank you in advance. I am so excited for my new girls.

Julia in Woodinville, WA
    Mother Hen to Honey (BO), Rose (Black SL), Dottie (GLW), Valerie (BR) and Violet AKA Slippers (GC). 3 - 5 weeks old.

2. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    You'll be cleaning poop and dust off like crazy! I don't think I'll do much for the inside of my coop. Some people have made curtains to put in their windows, or the little short curtains for the tops.

3. meadowsong

meadowsong Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    We just painted ours blue and plan on doing the nest boxes yellow. We are painted some boards on one wall yellow also. Next week, we plan on letting the kids paints murals on the walls. We plan on doing it up high on the walls but won't be terribly upset if it gets pooped on. LOL, it should look cute. I say why not!

4. djjwalls

djjwalls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    My coop is currently under construction....painting the inside and no nesting boxes or roosts yet. I am going to let my kids put their hand prints on the inside.

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Welcome to BYC from Olympia. This is a great site to hang out at to learn lots about chickens.

YES - you should paint it pretty and don't worry about the poo. Put up a painted droppings board that will be easier to scrape.

Can't wait to see some pics.

Enjoy our much needed sunshine.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I originally planned to have mine well decorated. In the end all I did was make curtains (little half curtains that are adorable bright green with cherries) and painted a nest box red with a rooster on it. The curtains get very dusty but they are sooooo sweet I wouldn't trade having them for anything! They quickly ruined the rooster on the nest box, however. [​IMG]

8. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    GO FOR IT![​IMG]
    Do whatever you want with the girls coop. [​IMG]
    I would love to decorate ours (it's ALMOST done) but I think I'm just painting the outside for now![​IMG]

9. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    I thought there would be "PICS" on this thread.

10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Me too.

Please post pics of painted interiors. We all LOVE to see what other people have done to pretty up the coops.

Great day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by