1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone done a "staggered hatch" in one incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    The eggs I have i set last night. I candled them not sure why i normally wouldn't. 3 look like they might be already on day 7, a dozen look about day 2/3, then the rest look as they should for eggs just put in an incubator last night.
    Will the ones that are further along just hatch in the egg carton i have them in? Should I set them out of it when they look like they are on day 18 and stop turning just them?

Last time I hatched eggs from this friend we had a chick we called "early bird" because it was hatched 16 days in. I'm thinking it's going to be like that again maybe? only this time looks like more then one.
    I'm just worried about the health of the ones further along.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have never heard of setting eggs all the same day, and having them weeks apart. Day 16?! Wow.. Did the chick look normal? I have heard of day 19 at the earliest.

I have done staggered hatches. As long as the last chick of the first hatch is out before lockdown on the second batch.. The added humidity at the end never seemed to affect the others. I've hatched twice this year in one incubator with different hatch dates.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How do you handle turning with a staggered hatch aoxa?

4. aoxa

I don't bother until I remove chicks after 36 hours. Or I place them very close to the vent and stick a straw and just roll them a bit. Never had more than 6 that were to hatch in the future.

Normally I don't bother turning them at all after lockdown (the ones that are staggered). I haven't had any issues.

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. aoxa

Do you have a mist bottle? I was told by the curator of the zoo (and a breeder for over 25 years) to mist them if you must open the incubator (warm water - not cold) and take the babies out quickly. It has worked for me. I don't like them in there more than 24 hours. They start to smell the incubator up, and trample all over the newly hatched ones.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I don't know if you have a turner, I have removed the closest to me racks, so the newer ones stay in the turner in the back, and the older ones can hatch in the front.
    It's insanity, but someone has to do it!

But then, you wind up buying another incubator, one to cook, and one to hatch, and then....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. aoxa

I could do that, but could the chicks get caught up in it?

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    It turns so slowly, I don't think they could would get caught.
    Now that it's been brought up, I'll probably get a keeper stuck in it...

BTW, I have had much better hatches before I got the turner.
    There is alot to be debated as to why, but that is just my two cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by