Has anyone done this before?

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I have 3 silkies that are broody right now. The first one that went broody her eggs are due today. Well when she got off her nest this morning. It was my chance to look at the eggs to see if there was any pipping going on. She has 5 i think. 2 were cold. I guess those ones were not under all the way. But none were pipping.....So i have some hatching today....So i went and got 2 babies for her. She didnt want anything to do with them. So i put them back and took out a egg that is already pipping. I put it under her. I am going out in a hour to see how things are going. Now this is the first time that i ever did this. Has any one did this before and everything work out ok?"Or was i stupid for doing something like this?

well It wasnt a good idea after all. It did hatch under her. But she was cold. It was almost dead. I hurry up and put her in the incubator where it was nice and warm. She breathing better and starting to move around. Wooooo that was close. Stupid me

Some hens aren't good at keeping all their eggs warm. I'd have candled all her eggs after giving them about four hours in an incubator to warm up and see what there was. Some hens just don't get it right the first time, some never get it. It's why I got incubators - because chickens have pea brains and many have brain farts, and if you want to save the hatch, you get to do it yourself.

Just leave everything be. I know its hard but it's what is best. If her eggs are due to hatch today, don't get in a hurry. Today is not over and they may not be on time anyway. So maybe tomorrow or even New Years babies! Don't give up but don't rush them either!

I wouldn't worry about this, because if none of hers hatch, just slip a chick under her.
this might not work 100% But if its a breed like a silkie, that broods as the day is long. then it should work.

BTW: that analogy made no sense, I apologize

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
.My thought exactly

Back
Top Bottom