1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone done this before?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Dec 30, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have 3 silkies that are broody right now. The first one that went broody her eggs are due today. Well when she got off her nest this morning. It was my chance to look at the eggs to see if there was any pipping going on. She has 5 i think. 2 were cold. I guess those ones were not under all the way. But none were pipping.....So i have some hatching today....So i went and got 2 babies for her. She didnt want anything to do with them. So i put them back and took out a egg that is already pipping. I put it under her. I am going out in a hour to see how things are going. Now this is the first time that i ever did this. Has any one did this before and everything work out ok?"Or was i stupid for doing something like this?

2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    just leave her alone and let her do it. if too many eggs hatch she will get off the nest

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    THanks..,..Yes i know that. But i dont think any of the eggs will hatch. That is why i gave her one that is hatching.

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    well It wasnt a good idea after all. It did hatch under her. But she was cold. It was almost dead. I hurry up and put her in the incubator where it was nice and warm. She breathing better and starting to move around. Wooooo that was close. Stupid me

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Some hens aren't good at keeping all their eggs warm. I'd have candled all her eggs after giving them about four hours in an incubator to warm up and see what there was. Some hens just don't get it right the first time, some never get it. It's why I got incubators - because chickens have pea brains and many have brain farts, and if you want to save the hatch, you get to do it yourself.

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Just leave everything be. I know its hard but it's what is best. If her eggs are due to hatch today, don't get in a hurry. Today is not over and they may not be on time anyway. So maybe tomorrow or even New Years babies! Don't give up but don't rush them either!

7. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I wouldn't worry about this, because if none of hers hatch, just slip a chick under her.
    this might not work 100% But if its a breed like a silkie, that broods as the day is long. then it should work.

BTW: that analogy made no sense, I apologize

8. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Quote:[​IMG].[​IMG].My thought exactly

9. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Quote:I tried that.So far it didnt work. I will try again tomorrow. I just hope the other 2 do a better job than this one.

10. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by