Has anyone else checked out PetFinder.com for chickens?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Grindlefamily, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    There are none in my local area, but there are some in MA, and other places!

Give an unwanted hen a home (or a rooster).

At Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA, Pasadena, CA, they have young hens! They look to be just a few weeks old! There are lots of babies in CA for adoption!

Louella

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Post on Craigslist as well. Easy to re-home birds there, or at least for me it has been.

3. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Yep.. I tried and failed.. none of the Northern California places have chicks/chickens.. and to drive 5+ hours each way isn't too good with gas prices. -_-"

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Ive looked too but never found anything close enough.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in NorCal and craiglist is great over here for homing chickens. Usually, when I have chicks, they will all be spoken for after about 24 hours of the ad being up. Of course that might be because they are show quality, but most of the chickens posted on CL seem to go quickly here.

6. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    On the advice or someone on this board, I advertised on Craigslist to rehome my nine extra cockerels (not show quality!) and had 4 responses, they were gone w/in a few days.

7. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I wanted to try that but we are close to Paterson/Newark, within 45 minutes anyway and the LAST thing I want is my boys in a cock fighting ring.

8. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I actually meant to adopt them - not to get rid of your flock. There are lots of chickens on petfinder that need a home, just wanted to share.

We adopted our dog from a rescue group on petfinder and she is the best dog.

Good luck everyone.

Louella

9. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Yeah, I knew what you were saying in your original post but it got kinda hijacked!! I check Petfinder every once in a while in the livestock section, they have lots of other farm animals too!

10. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    We got a wonderful Turken Roo from the Missouri Humane society through Petfinder. He had been at the Rescue Ranch since last June and was the last of his flock left. He was also next on the list to be euthanized if something new came in since they were about out of space. He's great. Gentle temperament, good with the hens, just an all around nice bird.

[​IMG]

He cost us $5 plus gas. Not a bad investment. [​IMG]

We had gone roosterless since right before Christmas when our other roo decided to go spastic and start flogging anyone who walked into "his" coop or yard, including me several times, my daughter, my son and husband. He was Christmas dinner for hubby and I. The girls definitely do better with a roo around though according to our contract with the Rescue Ranch we can't use him for breeding. They don't fix chickens. It's just not done.

Trisha in MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by