Has Anyone Else In The City Ever Gotten Away With Owning Roosters?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CitySilkies88, Mar 29, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Last Easter my grandmother thought it would be a good idea to get my nephews two "chicks".

My sister lives two houses down from me and we live right on the city line. The town next to us is chicken friendly. And in our city if you have hens and your neighbors don't complain, they city will allow you to keep your birds. I have a additional neighbor who has chickens in her backyard also.

This was before I had gotten my Silkies. But I had been doing plenty of research and told my sister that if the chicks grew into roosters that they would have to be rehomed (or taken to my grandparents in the country). She didn't listen.......And not just one but both matured and developed bright red combs and eventually they started to fight and crow.

Even worse my sister was letting them free range in her back and front yard. The young roosters would go under her front porch for shelter.

I had in the mean time obtained my mature female Silkies and them in a run and coop in my backyard. I was even more insistant to my sister that if someone complained about her noisy roosters (and boy are they noisy!) that everyone on the street could lose their birds.

But still she did not rehome them. I don't know if it was just because she was busy with her job and children. But her fiancee found enough time to build two chicken tractors because the roosters were trying to kill each other. At this point I started asking around trying to find these roosters homes but was not successful.

So nearly one year later and my sister has two HUGE mean Sussex roosters that crow all day long. Lucky for the rest of us that no one in the neighborhood seems to care. I am shocked that she has gotten away with this for as long as she has.

Has anyone else gotten away with owning a rooster or roosters in the city?

I am worried because I am getting new next door neighbors. And I have to worry about convincing them that my chickens will not be a problem. Let alone those giant noisy roosters.

Lol does anyone know anyone in NE Ohio who would like two BIG Sussex roosters? My sister is FINALLY ready to give them up. She simply can't find someone willing to take them. They don't have to go to pet homes. If anyone can help me out pm me please.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Craigslist may be an option for you.
    In the St. Louis area we have a hodgepodge of rules.
    There is a wealthy community called Clayton which is also the county seat that allows roosters.
    My city only specifies that chickens need to stay on your property. I currently have 4 roosters and the closest neighbors say they don't mind. I do keep them locked up till a decent hour so they aren't too loud early.
    The city of St. Louis bans roosters but I have a friend living in a real bad neighborhood where most of the houses have been torn down so no one lives very close and he has roosters.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have 5 roosters but the city keeps finding conflicting info for my zoning... I may end up having to move my huge coop back 150 feet...

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have had hens in the city for over 2 years and my close neighbors know about them but don't care. i asked them if they would mind before i bought them. i would love a rooster but have never even attempted it for fear that all the girls would have to go. do you know someone who would "take care of them for you" if you know what i mean.....as in chicken soup? lol. my best friend "takes care" of any of my hens that are getting older.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Yep! Look at my avatar. I got away with keeping that whole flock... hens, chicks, and roosters for about 3 years. Now, I only had the rooster for about 1 1/2 of that, but the hens were pretty noisy too sometimes. I have houses right beside me too. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was crazy... lol

6. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I personally don't live in the 'city' or 'suburbs', but I have family friends who kept two roosters in their neighborhood. I don't think anyone complained, but one rooster was killed by a hawk, and another may have been caught by a dog or other creature. These friends still have six hens, but they never got another roo, mostly because their last ones were loud-mouths, and they don't want to risk getting a rooster, then loosing all their birds.

I don't have space for another rooster, but if you are willing to part with your Silkies ladies, I'll be glad to steal them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by