Has anyone else noticed the price of feed coming down?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Dec 3, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I had to run to the feed store this afternoon...I put the last of the feed into the feeders this morning. I told the clerk I needed a 50 pound sack of laying crumbles and she yells out the back window for the guys in the barn to load my feed. Then she turns around and says that'll be $11.10!!!!! That was with tax added in!!! I said, "no way"...she smiled and said I've been getting that all day...it's so much nicer than when I was getting all those grumbling frowns a few months ago.

It seems that the cost of gas going down is bringing the price of feed down....I'm just wondering when it's going to start showing up at the grocery store.

2. Yes, we were just talking about this today. The trip to the local feed store for horse 7 percent, starter, poultry grain and shavings have been a welcome relief. They price of Hay is even starting to come down a bit now.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When gas gos down so does feed.

Petrol was $1.71 here in Phoenix today. Unbelievable.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh hooray, cuz I've got to get feed again this weekend!! [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I havent noticed yet because we hven't had to buy any in a few weeks now.

6. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Yea! I went to the feed store today and found the same thing clerk nearly had to pick me up out of the floor after what I have been paying for it. lol

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Yep, Feed is lower here also.

8. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:We are paying $1.59 out here in the sticks...DH says it's $1.47 in the city.

Edited to add: I just wish food would start going down as well. I think it's criminal for the price of food to be so high when the cost of gas has gotten so low.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Still expensive here in the UK, now costing me a minimum of £30.00 per week to feed my girlies (93) boy can they eat at this time of year. I feed mine layers pellets, cut maize and rolled oats....but they are looking fantastic and laying really well.....rambling about chickens again......[​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:We are paying $1.59 out here in the sticks...DH says it's $1.47 in the city.

Edited to add: I just wish food would start going down as well. I think it's criminal for the price of food to be so high when the cost of gas has gotten so low.

I can't even imagine gas at less than $1.50.

Food here has also dropped, I noticed it at the grocery store.

I'm hoping that these low gas prices will stimulate the economy a little but I'm afraid it's going to take some time. So few folks willing to put themselves out there.

We just bought another vehicle. Got a 2008 Ford Focus w/ less than 10,000 miles for $11,000. It's real nice and gets 36mpg. We are going to have the kids use it and when my 21 year old gets home in may, he can use the 94 Town Car.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by