1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone elses egg production dropped off since the start of 2011?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by J.Pryce, Jan 14, 2011.

1. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    My egg production has dropped off from 66 eggs last week from 28 hens, to 6 so far this week. The only gals laying are my 3 White Leghorns. Nothing has changed except the Snow is back & they're not going out in the run. I noticed that a lot of folks posted that they had a bad November 2010. Could this just be my lag time, as my November production was fine?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My production is actually gone up in the last 2 weeks as 9 of my older girls, who have been on strike (molting) since September, have started to lay again.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    if by drop you mean I ain't got a dozen eggs this week from way more than a dozen hens....then yes...granted..I didn't look in all the hiding places...I was a little busy trying to get water to them since it finally got above freezing yesterday

4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Mine have ABSOLUTELY dropped way down from about 8-9/day from 12 hens to 1-3/week from the same. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Most likely reason is the very short daylight time per day (10 hours or so) when they need 14 or more. I do not have supplemental light in my coop but that will be my next project.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    My egg production is also way, way down and I attribute that to less daylight, not so much the colder temps. I'm wanting to incubate some eggs from my 4 barred rocks but they're hardly laying right now. There were ZERO eggs from them today. I also noticed feathers in the coop so a molt maybe going on, too. [​IMG]

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    my egg productions has increased a lot in the last two weeks. I was getting about 1 or 2 eggs a day and now i am getting 4 to 7 a day.

7. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    ours has increased by two hens one started laying today for her very first time and one started a week ago after molting and taking a break.

8. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    mine have picked up the last 2 weeks. was getting 4-6 eggs before. now getting 5-10 a day from 18 hens.

9. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Mine has increased dramatically as some of my newer hens have started laying. In a flock of 12 I recently went from getting 1 egg a day to getting 6!

10. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My girls are going through a similar phase...since oh....um...Sept![​IMG] My older girls went through their first molt which put the brakes on production and my new girls have JUST now recently started laying..but so far still only getting about 1-2 eggs a day from 25 hens! Some days no eggs at all! I'm still waiting for my leghorns to start laying ...got them as day old babies back in mid June and still NOTHING!!![​IMG] There are all healthy and eating like PIGS!!![​IMG] Can't wait until spring![​IMG]
    PS. Just brought my Seramas inside...they are all happy as can be living the Chickie dream in a VERY large Bird Cage in my sunroom...and LAYING!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by