Has anyone ever added eggs after incubation already started?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minpinmama, Mar 9, 2012.

1. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Has anyone out there ever added eggs to an already incubating batch of eggs?
    Whats the latest date you added eggs? How did it turn out?
    I have to either add (It''s now day 15 / 16 ) Or buy a new incubator. Or wait to put already 5 to 6 day old eggs on
    hold for a few more days. Advice? Suggestions?

2. Chookcrazy

Chookcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    I have but it was only five days after not fifteen. Seven chicks out of the eleven eggs I put in ended up hatching. You have to be careful if you do put them in though because if you manually turn the eggs it could harm the others when they are hatching if you open the incubator to turn the others. Whatever you choose to do I hope your hatch goes great.

3. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    I have an auto egg turner. Can add eggs through windows rather than open it totally up.
    I'm wondering about lockdown and humidity, if that would effect new eggs.
    I can buy another incubator. Sad part is I am holding up this incubator for just 2 eggs.[​IMG]
    After candling at day 8 and 9 and 10 ended up tossing 15 eggs. These are the only two that looked like they may be
    developing. I wish I could find some really good breeders who I could buy baby chicks from for the three breeds I am wanting
    rather than do the egg - incubator thing [​IMG]

4. Chookcrazy

Chookcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm sorry about your other fifteen eggs. If you have an automatic egg turner I would put the others in. Were your first lot of eggs shipped because they have a lower hatch rate. If your looking for chicks you should search online and see if there is a site that sells and ships the breed of chicken you want.

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I "confess" that I add new eggs all the time to my incubators (I use Brinsea and Lyon incubators). I've never had an issue with my own eggs not hatching via this method. Most of these incubators have automatic turning; I do transfer the egg out to one that does not have a turner around the 18th day as my "hatching" incubator.

What type of chicks are you looking for and where do you reside?

Gail

6. painteddream

painteddream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    I added eggs about 2 days after I started. I added 15 and they all hatched except 2. hope all goes well. We really enjoyed hatching our own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by